IR Remote Interface - HowTo request

As a beginner I am very curious to learn how to use the IR Interface. Is there something like a beginners guide somewhere. The corresponding page at github doesn’t say anything to me other than ‘there is way to set it up.’ I’ve got a spare TSOP38238 and a Harmony remote.
What can I do with it and how?
I am still waiting for my first ESP8266 D1 mini to arrive. So I have zero experience right know.

Take a look at the WLED wiki for the IR control info.

Yeah well that’s what I meant with ‘corresponding page at github’

There are 3 ways to go about it.
Simplest (no-tech) way: check the harmony IR device options for an existing IR option for LED strip in one of the supported IR controller types (from the wiki). Add it to your remote’s configuration. Test it. If it works, you are done.

Simple (no-tech) way: purchase one of the remotes from Amazon/Aliexpress, or use one from a cheap LED strip kit. Once you have it, enable the type you have into the WLED configuration, and test the buttons. Once you know what each button does, you can then teach your harmony remote the same commands.

Less simple way is explained in the wiki where you edit the IR .h file mentioned in the wiki with whatever harmony remote code you want to assign, then have WLED tell you what IR code was received. Update the .h file with IR code and appropriate commands as noted in that file’s comments. After it’s updated, build your own custom firmware so it supports your special harmony remote IR codes.

Personally, I think the first option is probably best - and easiest.

Ok, that’s the part where I get the codes into my remote.
I’ll check that with the Logitech DB.
But how do I get to know which actions exist/are possible /can I create myself.
For beginners: I would like to switch on/off the ESP

Open this github source code document (from the wiki):
IR_CODE.h on this github

Yes, looks good.
cheers

The remotes specified in the wiki are very cryptical, like white 24-key IR remote with R,G,B + 12 color-tones. How do I know or search for them?

edit: Ok got it.