Is WLED overkill for my project?

I’m wanting to put one of the round led chips into a block of wood and put a clear glass insulator on top of it to create a nightlight of sorts (or just a light that won’t be left on all night). I don’t need it to do anything fancy, but do want the ability to change colors.

Before I learned of WLED, I used these:

But I hate the thought of haivng to keep up with the remote. Before I order all the parts, I just wanted to make sure WLED isn’t overkill for this.

In the future, I do plan on using it for Christmas lights and thought this might be a good project to get my feet wet.

Why would it be overkill?
It runs on ESP01, supports WiFi, IR remote, PIR sensor and many other options.
If you want to control analog (aka dumb) LEDs you’ll also need MOSFETs.

Guess I just thought it wouldn’t be using enough of the functions with possibly only 1 LED on it.

Hi , As the guru above said wled will be perfect , I went Kamakazi style with full DIY . Go for wled on esp01 and we can compare notes but the number of leds does not really matter in a display . the pictures in the link you gave look very nice so I assume this is the way it will look :blush: but I think this is meant to be only a nice display and not really a lamp . In my case 16 pixels did not really light the room but might be the milk jug diffuser is the reason but i like it this way for a 10$ display , cheers

This (left/front) is what I’m trying to accomplish without having that remote & some unknown app from the pre-made products. The back one was originally made by my grandpa and put on a C9 Christmas light.

Will hopefully be able to get everything ordered tonight and have together soon.

Sorry to ask, but in the lit up version, does it say “Designed by Grandpa”? The last part isn’t visible so I am just guessing.

Yes, basically. lol

This one says his name since it was made for my grandma.