New controller SP511E

Do you mean SR is giving love to ESP32’s but not so much for ESP8266’s?

That’s exactly how I’d describe it. I pestered the SR developers about it and I think we will probably get someone to at least get the 0.13 changes in. It sounded like Blazoncek would even be willing to help with that. There were a lot of important changes between 0.12 and 0.13. As it stands right now, you will have to decide between the mic not working with AC version; and the IR remote and multiple buttons not working with SR version. If we get a 0.13 version for SR then everything will work. After playing with both, I decided that AC version was just a better fit at this point. If/when SR gets updated to 0.13, I’ll likely switch to that.

As to what is different between main SR tree and SR ESP8266 tree, biggest difference is missing both 2D matrix and FFT effects.

For the multiple outputs, I soldered data lines on to the exposed pads labelled D4 / D3 yesterday. But I was unable to get either of them to work. I contacted the folks who traced out the original SP501E board and asked if they would be willing to do the same for the SP511E. I haven’t heard back yet.

Is there interest in the SR 0.12 firmware?

I do not expect the ESP8266 to pick up 2D matrix and / or FFT effects since it lacks the processing power to make those work. Wanting it and expecting it are reality-checks that I know not to expect it even though I’d want to have it if it were technically possible (but sadly it is not).

Yeah they aren’t going to add matrix or FFT to the ESP8266 tree. I just want them to merge in upstream changes and get it up to version 0.13.

I also created a guide, Installing WLED on the SP511E. It is a step by step guide for people who have never done this sort of thing. But maybe the regulars here will find something useful.

2 Likes

Great guide, was able to get a new SP511E on WLED in no time…
More fun to follow…

1 Like

That awasome News. Not really into edit wled code thow but i have to try it.

Did the mic works relativly well? I tryed with the fairy nest app and the sound have to be really loud or the controller right next to the speaker to react.

You can adjust WLED gain settings. The response was ok. It wasn’t like the digital mics for ESP32 that can pick up footfalls on carpet in the next room.

What bin should i use? I am really confused about it, could you share yours?

For standard WLED, I linked to the binary that Serg graciously built and hosted. There is a link to it both in this thread and in my guide.

If you want SR, I posted the code you’d need to past in to platformio.ini to build it yourself. I’d prefer to keep @srg74 as the definitive source for firmware. Hopefully he will add it to his repo. But until then, you can download it here.
SoundReactive_0.12.0_sp511e.bin

1 Like

Many thanks. I really have to learn how to compile, and what was confusing me more was what bin to use to then edit myself. I already have one vídeo from Quindor to watch to learn all the steps from editing wled code.

I already have one Controller with the bin that @srg74 posted, now i, m going to try this with sr in other Controller.

Again, apprecciate your share.

It is not too hard if you follow the guide. Compiling WLED - WLED Project

And if you didn’t figure it out already, you don’t modify the binaries. You pull down the repository and use the source code to generate new binaries.

Ok thanks.

I just flashed with sr and i am impressed, it seems it works very good this mic, much better then with the app.
Good job and thank you for the help.

I just compiled it and gave you a download. Others did the hard work. But I’m glad you enjoyed. I’m looking forward to getting SR up to 0.13 so everything works.

Hey I’ve got great news for SP511E owners. Thatdonfc has updated the ESP8266 branch to 0.13.0-b3. Now everything works!

I just built it and quickly tested it. But if you would like to help testing, here is the firmware.

I had a bug in the original 38-key config, where bright+ actually decreased the brightness. So you’ll want to either download that again or edit the ir.json file. It is a 2 character fix.

2 Likes

Tell me please how many LEDs supports this controller on WLED firmware? I have SK6812 LED string (not RGBW but ordinary RGB), and I have troubles with 250 leds.

I don’t personally have experience with those lights, but you should be able to drive at least 3x that with WLED on an ESP8266.

I am testing SR firmware and have a question about the IR remote. We have two buttons on the remote for switching between sound modes (“pos”: “9x1” and “pos”: "9x2) but they don’t work because the command !PresetFallback is used on both buttons. How to set these buttons to toggle only between sound modes? Artacus, many thanks for your participation in the project.
I have compiled a list of modes with sound effects with their numbers (FX):
118 Pixels
119 Pixelwave
120 Juggles
121 Matripix
122 Gravimeter
123 Plasmoid
124 Puddles
125 Midnoise
126 Noisemeter
127 Noisefire
128 Puddlepeak
129 Ripplepeak
130 Waterfall
131 Gravcenter
132 Gravcentric

Yes, you need actual presets to use presetFallback, otherwise the “fallback” is to load the effect and palette if you specified them and choose a random effect if you have not.

The idea for JSON remote was to make it easy for users to customize their remotes not necessarily to deliver a fully configured remote. Because I can’t possibly know what presets you’ll have.

But read the documentation for JSON remote. There is a tips section that discusses putting presets in blocks (by id) and setting up buttons to step through those.

A few new details on the SP511e boards.

I’ve made a little headway on mapping pins, here’s what I’m (pretty) sure of at the moment:

GPIO3 Main WLED output (no shock there).
GPIO5 IR Input (nothing new)
GPIO2 Pwr Button
GPIO13 M Button
GPIO14 S Button

And the new info…

TOUT ADC Mic input
GPIO1 TX Pin through 100R resistor (R8) good 2nd Strip candidate at TX pad
GPIO15 Pulldown with 10K0 resistor (R4). 3rd Strip candidate at R4 (towards bottom of board) delicate soldering but doable
I think both will need a level shifter to get useable output. I’ve been able to verify there is output when a new strip is added to the config, but I haven’t got a level shifter wired up yet.

GPIO0, GPIO6, GPIO7, GPIO8, GPIO10, GPIO11
All present on the chip, but there don’t appear to be any pads or traces other than the main chip.
Will require VERY delicate soldering and fine equipment to use.
Probably not worth the effort in many cases.

GPIO4
GPIO9
These pins appeared to be physically broken off the ESP8285 chip on my boards.

What about discarding the ir sensor? The pad is right there on the side?

That could be not perfect to every one, and we where erasing one functionality… it coud be better to use the gpio of one of the buttons!

What do you think about that? That gpio, s are good for that?