Not starting when connected to LEDs

Hello,

I’m running WLED off of an ESP8266 on a LoLin board with 6 LEDs connected.
If I connect the ESP to power, either on a powerbank or plug, WITHOUT the LEDs being connected, it starts up fine. Connecting the LEDs afterwards and they work just as expected.

If I power up the ESP with the LEDs connected, the first LED turns white, the second green and the rest stay off. The ESP also never connects to WiFi, but the blue WiFi LED on the board lights up.
This effect is observed across two plugs (one rated 1.5A at 5V, the other 2 A at 5V) and a powerbank as well as three different USB power cables.

I have wired the LEDs D to D4 (GPIO 2), VCC to VU and GND to G at two pins below D4 on this pinout: https://circuit-diagramz.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/ESP8266-12e-Pinout-13.jpg

Anyone seen this before?

Sounds like usual GPIO pin behaviour, checkout the details for pins: ESP8266 Pinouts.

Either use a different GPIO or put a levelshifter in series to bring the voltage up and/or stop loading that pin.

Hmm, it’s the suggested pin to use according to Getting Started - WLED Project
I’ll try D1/GPIO5 and try again.

Yes - but (there’s always a “but”) different boards will react differently.
You’ll may also find vastly different total LED limits depending on which GPIO you choose as a few (GPIO3??) enable different internal protocols for the datasream. They may be much faster, but use up lots of internal RAM. You’ll see the effects on RAM used on the Config->LED Preferences page.

The net effect is you end up being limited to about 200 LEDs if you configure that way, not necessarily a big deal in many cases.

This is a (small) part of the reason that WLED is slowly (very) migrating away from ESP8266’s.

Thank you for the thorough explanation, appreciate it!
I plan to use only 16 LEDs on this installation, but my staircase right now has 690 of them on a sp108e controller that I also want to replace. Gotta keep these limits in mind, maybe use an ESP32 for that as well.

Anyway, moving to D1/GPIO5 worked! I chose it because it isn’t listed as HIGH ON BOOT on the page you linked me. Thank you very much!

Glad it’s up now.

Definitely migrate to ESP32’s, much more capable.

If you don’t mind, mark this thread as Solved so others can quickly find the results.

Happy WLED’ing :sunglasses: