Power Injection on 5m Strip

Hi, I’m looking to finish up my first WLED project and have a few questions I was hoping someone could shed some light on. I’m using a 5m BTF Lighting Strip with is 60 leds/m with 18 gauge wire, aiming to get them looking spotless (or near enough) in a diffuser for a project. I’ve run into some questions.

• How far will a 5v 10a power supply get me in powering the strips without power injection - recognise I won’t be able to go full brightness for whites, but otherwise fine if I’m using effects? I’ve inferred this using the LED power table spreadsheet.

• If I power inject, will that allow me to go full brightness on the whites?

• If I power inject, would I need 2 inline fuses (one for the main power line, one for power injection) or can I use just 1 (put fuse before splittig power to start and end of the strip)?

Really appreciate any help - still new so sure I’m wide of the mark somewhere here. But really enjoying my WLED project, so want to finish it up, and finish it right!

5V strips generally need injection every 2-3M. Nothing to do with your supply but the copper used in the strip.

Each injection should have a 5A fuse and use that for your figuring.

1 Like