QuinLED-Dig-Quad - A 4 channel DIY WLED board!

!! Multi-channel output feature currently not yet available in WLED, will come in future !!

Previously I’ve introduced the QuinLED-Dig-Uno, a fully DIY board with extensive hardware, soldering and pinout guides available, making building your own WLED powered board easy!

Today I’m introducing the QuinLED-Dig-Quad, the bigger brother of the Dig-Uno! Built on the same bones and DNA it has same functions as the Dig-Uno, just (a lot) more of it!

If you are doing a medium to large size LED project, this board has some significant advantages over the Dig-Uno board (which is still perfect for small to medium projects!).

The most notable features are:

• Ability to use ESP8266 or ESP32
    (ESP32 highly recommended for advanced functionality)
  • Reverse polarity input & output protection
  • 7x Positive and 7x Negative terminal for power injection and multiple LED strips
  • 5x Onboard car style fuse for extra safety
    (Helps making your power injection runs safer!)
  • Run your power through the board and fuse (up to 15A continuous with 1OZ copper) (up to 30A continuous with 2OZ)
    (Can take much higher peak currents)
  • 4 Data output terminals to drive 4 LED strips in individually!
    (Onboard level-shifters to drive 4x data signal at 5v)
  • Onboard capacitors to limit in-rush current and provide stable power for quick changing effects and ESP
  • Compatible with 2x APA102 or 4x ws2812b, sk6812, ws2811, ws2815, etc.
  • 6x GPIO available using pin headers (Including Button, Relay-Control and Infra Red pins)
  • 12v compatibility built on the board(next to standard 5v)
    (5vEXT functionality allowing you to run 2 separate power supplies (small one for board, large one for LEDs))
  • Optional Dalles temperature sensor

The board shares a lot of design elements with the QuinLED-Dig-Uno so is still easy to build even for the most novice person out there, no problems doing this as one of your first building/soldering projects! There are also lots of guides helping you along such as the hardware guide to purchase all the needed components, a soldering guide and a pinout guide!

https://quinled.info has lots of guides helping you with LEDs, wiring and everything related. Next to that lots of people on the Intermit.tech Discord server can help out if you run into any problems.

The basic reason I designed the board is to have something a bit more safe, easy to use and secure vs a breadboard or even a protoboard setup. The QuinLED-Dig-Quad provides you with lots (7x) of positive and negative terminals to do power injection right from the board, these lines are also divided over 5 onboard fuses making sure that everything stays safe!

Please also check out this video about the board and what it can do!

Please visit https://quinled.info for more information.

p.s. Currently no pre-assembled boards of the QuinLED-Dig-Quad are available, they will be in the future!

4 Likes

I’ve got a Dig-Quad on preorder! Question - How can I use all 4 outputs in WLED? I’ve got a Dig-Uno setup, and a bare esp8266 (both with different IPs). How do you setup WLED to control the 4 different outputs from the Dig-Quad?

Hi!
You can’t yet with the default branch - however, there is an awesome mod that allows you to address the four pins in WLED! It’s not perfect yet, but it works well enough until I have finished adding the official support :slight_smile: You can find more info about that by @Quindor (and a binary) here

I also heard that the mod can support up to 8 outputs which would be interesting for smaller pixel runs using multiple effects. That’s assuming the ESP32 can handle 8 channels of processing without dropping the framerate.

Just a quick shout out to @Aircoookie and @Quindor for creating WLED and the Dig-Quad respectively. I’ve been playing with addressable LED lights for a couple of years but this combination of software and hardware is by far the best I’ve got my hands on so far!

My setup at home (see quick video here) is nothing particularly impressive but I now have the foundation for more ambitious projects. The big tree has 400 pixels in total; 4 strings with 100 pixels each using all four channels of the Dig-Quad. The string on the floor is run by a single ESP8266. Both are running WLED 0.11.

Thanks again and stay safe!

-Luigo, Twickenham, UK

2 Likes

I get that multi-channel support for WLED is still being worked on, but I have a specific use case that I’d like to get feedback on.

I have three 12V LED strips that I’m going to use on my roof. Logically, I’d like them to behave as on long string. Which normally would not be a problem, but there’s a wrinkle.

To make this easier to understand, let’s give the end of each string a letter. So there’s a string from A to B, one from B to C and one from C to D. In a normal world, the data would be fed in one end and connected at each junction, with power injection as required.

But, for physical access reasons, I want to have my QuinLED sitting at the C junction as opposed to either end A or end D. From a power perspective, no issue. But I’d also like to inject my data there as well to reduce the long wiring run to one of the ends. And I still want to have the string behave like it is logically continuous from A to D.

My unrealistic hope would be to have one channel handling the A to C run, another channel the C to D run and have WLED somehow manage this (using the “Reverse entire strip (rotate 180)” feature?) as it was one string from A to D.

I get that this is more about how QuinLED is supported (in the future?) by WLED. I also get that this use case may be just too much of an outlier. But does anyone have any bright ideas or should I just give up on being able to do this?

1 Like

When the multipin support is added, you’ll be able to reverse each string individually, so it should cover your use case :slight_smile:

1 Like

When will it be ready to run

When it’s ready. Maybe March, but I can’t promise that :slight_smile: