Seeking Help for LED Matrix Display Issue in 2D Mode

Hello fellow enthusiasts :wave:

I’ve encountered a puzzling issue with my 16x80 LED matrix assembly, and I’m seeking the community’s expertise to find a solution. :melting_face:

Picture this:
After investing hours carefully setting up my impressive array of 5 panels, each boasting 16x16 pixels, I eagerly opened the preview window. To my dismay, the preview displayed only 8 pixels in height and 80 pixels in length.
(The 80 pixels in length are correct)

What adds to the frustration is that this problem seems to arise only when I have more than three panels arranged in a row. Surprisingly, in this specific arrangement, the preview shows the correct height. However, with more than three panels, the height reverts to those frustrating eight pixels.

I’m feeling disheartened by the realization that climbing to my window every time I want to check the preview isn’t a viable long-term solution. Surely, there must be a way to tackle this issue.

My sense of frustration is amplified by the considerable time and effort I’ve dedicated to assembling this matrix. It’s disconcerting to think that my beautifully designed matrix is causing such headaches.

In the meantime, I'll be perched on my ladder, checking the preview window every few seconds, compare and hopeful that one day it will accurately reflect the true size of my 16x80 LED matrix. :grin:

Additional panel Info

The panels are arranged in 2D mode, forming an 16x80 arrangement, totaling 1280 pixels. They are connected in a daisy-chain manner, where the data output of the first panel feeds into the second, and so on.

Hardware Configuration:

• Atom addressable string controller with an integrated microphone. (Firmware Changed)

Firmware versions tried / Tested:

• WLED 1.14 b-3.

• WLED 1.15 a0 (from WLED GitHub)

• WLED 1.14 (Full)

• Conclusion: the issue persists with all tested firmware versions

LED Panels:

• 5 panels each consisting of 16x16 WS2812B LEDs.
    (256 LED per Panel)

Power supply:

• 5V, 15A.

Data Connection:

• Data output used on controller: Dat1 (GPIO 18)

If any of you have encountered and successfully resolved this problem, considering the 2D mode and the daisy-chain connection, I’d greatly appreciate your insights. My frustration is reaching a critical point, and I’m beginning to wonder if my matrix is somehow cursed.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Is this a common issue?
  • Yes, Is is!
  • No, it’s not!
0 voters

@TheLight3r
Have you tried to use any other GPIO16 or 19 just to see if it works, perhaps your GPIO18 pin is slowly giving up on supporting that many LEDs.

I am seeing the same behavior on a test unit on latest 15 ,still looking for a workaround , not sure if you setup the matrix as only one 80x16 will work for you ( it did not work for me and i still see the issue on peek ) but i have no real fixture setup at the moment with with 5 16x16 but will setup something shortly , meanwhile please open an issue on github for the same

Unfortunately no, it didn’t gave the desired effect either

That is a built-in limitation of peek to reduce the stress on ESP.
The hard limit is on 4096 pixels. It just reduces pixels available to peek.

Nothing is wrong with your set-up and LEDs should display normally.

Yeah, they do display the things like it should…
Well, I’ll take a look at the documentation

But out of curiosity, is there some sort of workaround?

No. Unless you change source.