Segment on/off fading and simple scripting

First of all, deep respect for the fantastic solution to control smart LED’s. My living is slowly transferring to a neopixel rich area, fantastic. I did some programming on these LEDs myself in C++ but truly admire the perfection of this firmware, enough reason to stop my own work as it is deep in the shadow here. Even though it is fantastic, there is always something to wish for…

I currently implement WLED as basis for my stairs lights. For this I use segments which adds loads of flexibility.

As I want to turn on and off each step gradually in a script, I use Home assistant (which is basis for my domotic stuff anyway). The WLED integration is perfect in HA!

Switching steps works using scripts, but not as flawless as I desire due to (I suppose) HA core CPU load sometimes and Wifi Lag, even though I have quite an advanced network for this with perfect coverage and capacity. To overcome this, simple scripting to batch segments on and off would be fantastic within the ESP. Even better would be if some ESP pins could be enabled to trigger scripts (e.g. with motion PIR sensors).

Furthermore, it would be great if each segment could be turned on and off with a smooth transition, this is a miss in this setup…

Maybe some good ideas for further enhancements, that could be used in many other applications as well…

A little video to illustrate the “lag” that I experience. It also shows the benefit of having on/off transitions…

Meanwhile, the stairs project evolved. It’s working and includes a usermod already. Further info in the projects section…