Segments and multiple data wires

I made a 20x20 addressable LED fairy light panel filled with a string of 400 leds in a verticle serpentine pattern. Unfortunately, the last 100 leds did not work I replaced them with anothr string of 100, but was unable to get the replacement leds to work when connected to the first 300.

So I am thinking of deviding into 4 5x20 segments. The first 3 panels would be in sequential led order on the first data line from the esp32. The fourth would have its own data line from the esp32. The first 3 segments would display leds 0-300 and the 4th segment would display the 301 to 400 leds.

I remember seeing some instructions on doing this but cannot locate them now. Please provide a link to that reference and comment on my plan with any suggested improvements.

Maybe the replacements are bad or the fixed-address type? I also have a 20x20 and it’s fine.

Also, don’t confuse wled segments with banks of n LEDs attached to a GPIO. :wink:

I have tested the replacements as well as the original last 100 leds and all are fine. The difficulty seems to be successfully connecting the data wire from the upstream string of 300 leds to the downstream remaining 100 leds.
The new led arrangement will have the first 300 leds configured as 3 5x20 segments/panels on GPIO 16. The remaining 100 leds are configured a 1 5x20 segment/panel. This arrangement is used to fulfill the requirement that each panel be of the same size (width x height).