Hello. I’m very new to WLED and could use some help. I recently setup an ESP32 min to drive some bed lights and wanted to be able to toggle light on either side of the bed. I originally used a strip of 5v WS281x LEDs and segments worked just as expected. However, I wasn’t happy with the voltage drop towards the end so I decided to switch over to a 12v strip of WS281x LEDs. After making this switch, segments no longer work. Even if I divide the strip, the first segment always controls the whole strip. This applies to on/off, brightness, even effects.
5V WLED setup (segments working):
- Used a 12v 1A to 5v converter to power ESP (via VCC + GND).
- LEDs were also connected to 5V side of stepdown converter.
- Only connection from ESP to LEDs was from GPIO16.
12v WLED setup (segments not working)
- Same as above except LEDs are now connected to the 12v power supply.
- The step down converter still powers the ESP.
Here’s my segment config. I used the boot preset per the FAQ directions and my segment settings do persist between reboots.
Am I missing anything? Is this just an issue with cheaper LED strips or is there a real bug here?