Usage of touch button unclear / not working

HI there,
I’m using a 8266 Wemos D1 Mini and a WS2812B RGB LED ring with 12 LEDs - and version 0.13.0 b2 of WLED as it supports touch buttons. Sort of.
I’ using those: ANGEEK 10 Pcs TTP223 Capacitive Touch Switch Button Self-Lock Capacitive Swit

I connected one to 3V VCC, GND and D3 (GPIO0) directly.
The LED ring ist connected to 5V, GND and D4.

In the settings, I chose “touch” as button and put 3 favorites to “button actions” of button 0.

Set up like this, the D1 won’t even boot correctly. There are two LEDs glowing as a status indicator and the D1 won’t connect to the Wifi or boot up correctly.
If I unplug the data connection of the touch button and reconnect the D1 to power, it boots up correctly.
If I then put back the data connection to D3, the button somehow works but the LEDs won’t behave like supposed - see “favorites”.
If I choose “Push inverted” for the kind of button, it totally works as intended. Every press (long, short, double) results in the correct favorite.

BUT: Resetting the D1 or dis- and reconnecting it to power still results in NOT powering up. I always have to do the thing with unplugging and replugging the data cable of the touch button.

I suppose it’s something with high and low of the button but could you please help me find a solution?
Many thanks and best regards
Muhackl

“Touch” refers to the ESP pins called out for that.

You may need a pull-up resistor for that data line.

@tonyno Thanks.
I’m relatively new to this topic. So this would be 10 kOhm between Data and GND of the touch-button?

That would be a pull-down.

ESP pin and 3.3V for pull-up.

What do you mean with ESP pin? Between the data pin (D3) of the touch button and the 3.3 V power supply - 10 kOhm ?

Yes, GPIO0 in your example.

Unfortunately, that did not work.
What I tried:

• Soldering 10kOhm from 3,3V to D3 (GPIO0). D1 not booting up. 2 LEDs on the ring glowing white.
  • Soldering 10kOhm from 3,3V to D4 - the data of touch button. D1 not booting up. 2 LEDs on the ring glowing white.

What am I missing?

Why not just use esp32 instead? The esp32 boards have up to 10 pins that have capacitive touch baked in. No need for resistors or separate touch buttons, just run a wire to a metal washer or foil on the back of a pieces off glass.

1 Like

I love the D1 mini, because I can fit them totally everywhere. I already have plenty of them so…
Same with those touch buttons.
So the question stays the same: what am I doing wrong with this pull-up-resistor?

There are probably a couple of things here.

The touch button you are using outputs a TTL level signal, so don’t configure it as a touch button, but a normal button. You also don’t need any pullup or pull down resistors.

Also, have you set the A & B links of the button?

If not, the switch output without detecting a touch will be low and on the model of Wemos D1 that you are using, holding GPIO0 low at power up could be putting it into flash mode. Hence why it does not boot with the switch connected.

Try setting the A & B links on the switch to change the polarity so that it is high without detecting a touch.

AB=10: no-lock low TTL level output;

1 Like

@Austin1990 that did the trick! Never noticed before, that there are links/“jumpers” on that button. Shame.
Thanks a lot! It’s working now.