V1.0 ultra-small controller

Hi guys, take a look at the first version of my controller I developed one evening.

It implements temperature feedback via one wire and anti-ring resistor rf section with awesome range too!

I also made a jig that programs and tests the module

4 Likes

Wow, it is really ultra-small. :face_with_monocle:

It will be great if you could share more details (i.e. schematic, pcb source). If open source, more guys could join the for further development. It is just my expections.

If you were able to incorporate a microphone into the v2 board, then you could potentially use Sound Reactive version of WLED on it, and it would be a really compact way to incorporate the controller (and crucially the microphone) near the LED strip.
Sound Reactive WLED wiki page

I am interested in contributing to this, even if only by buying some.

Hi guys, apologies for the late reply, I’m working on v2 already, and I have looked into the mic, which may well be an addition… I will share the design once the hardware is optimized, the reason being I only had a week to design this version to get a job out… it has a not so user-friendly termination on the back for vertical PCB mounting on one of my products.

the new version will be designed for the open-source community, and it will be even smaller; I’m working on a new tiny chip/rf section and power management it will be 4 layers and have even more i/o broken out :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I’m happy to sell some of the ones I have, but they will need to be either programmed by me, and you hope not to brick it, or you will need to tack bodge wires on and program it that way if it ends up being corrupted somehow…

Any small help in funding would be awesome as I’m investing in this ecosystem quite aggressively at the min for my commercial interests witch hopefully will pay off soon…a few projects underway, one obviously being this controller and the other being a full-blown hmi module with snappy 4k interface. I have just bought an older pick and place machine as well! (glad to have a lenient loved one, It’s in the spare room !) :rofl:

This is the old girl V1 sch

Please dont judge it was fast turn around ! rf performance is adequate and thermal issues we needed to mitigate mechanically due to the size constraints

If you are thinking of including a microphone in v2, it’d be well worth touching base with the team who work on the WLED Sound Reactive version. They appear to be very responsive, and helpful, and should definitely be able to help advise on which mics work best with their forked version of WLED (which is being developed in parallel to remain compatible with each new version of WLED).

apologies for the late reply, we are working on i2s microphone integration now as well in an even smaller package :slight_smile:

just been working out annoying signal bugs… turns out the resistor trick is not stable enough for us ! choke the rescue

What is the plan for these? Are you going to start selling them?

I use them in my main product, but I’m making a fork that I can sell that is less propitiatory… we have added humidity and temp sensor now as well as the mems.

1 Like

This is really cool, is it as powerful as a typical esp32 dev board? I’d rather keep the microphone separate to position it wherever if needed. Do you run fuses and capacitors with these?

hi, we run capacitors and inductors on the PCB this attaches too although the stability as a standalone unit is fantastic so far 100% yield, especially having sorted the mystery resistor values and then speaking to a friend of mine in the industry just suggested inductor on the signal line then boom 100% working regardless of length! hardware power-wise we are running pico d4 so pretty much the same ?

Hello
I have to carry out a project similar to yours but with a different shape … I’m looking for who can make it, if you are interested give me your contact details
thank you!

High rocket, yes sure email me at chrislloyd09@googlemail.com

OK, I’ll bite. How are wires connected to this?

the termination is rather proprietory but it’s pretty simple there are the programming pins then there are the sig out for leds then 5vin then signal for the one-wire temp sensor and 3v3 out (low current supplies esp and the temp sensor) then the gnd

I can upload pinout tomorrow but it’s pretty self-explanatory annoyingly I never put silkscreen on the back for pin descriptions… if there is genuine interest I can re-spin the board for the community? a more friendly maybe smaller design im already working on !?