What pins on a Esp32 wroom from Az can be used to drive Addressable leds. For multi output use with wled

I’ve recently got into Esp32 driven leds and it has some serious hobby potential.

I made my own “govee floor lamp” and at £150 for one version I thought I’d try my own.

I think using wled and mic in my creation makes it better than the govee one. Including the base of mine being a light all on its own let alone the “stick”

So that brings me to my question…

Becouse I wanted the base to be much brighter than the “stick” (I used a wiring conduit for the stick with the leds layed in the channel) I put a set or lights to the sides and back of the forward facing leds so the base has all round brighter light source.

I have glass beads filling base to act as defuser and keep more emmited light. When the pattern are running its looks really good.

However seeing that the Esp32 I hear can have more than one outlut I was thinking could I take the 3 other additional addressing leds and put each one on its own “channel” and have the flexibility to control each strip in the base?

At the moment they are parallel wired to main strip. I’ve added 3 16 pixel strips to the mentioned sides which light up with the first 16 of the main strip… Just hope that makes sense…

So which pins on my esp32 can I actually use to achieve this?

By default as instructed for wled I followed instructions to use gpio 4

Any help in understanding this would be great.

In general the GPIO’s on an ESP32 are much easier to use than the 8266’s.

The tables in ESP32 Pinout Tutorial will give you an idea of pins to avoid due to power up issues but that usually leaves lots of options.

What ESP32 board are you using?

Hi thank for your response…

An Esp32 wroom I think from az delivery.
I’ll attach a pdf that came with. I’ve no real clue here to be honest. I learn as I go.

Like I said wled says use 4 I’m sure other instructions say 2 so I’m assuming there’s another 2 that’s safe to use?

Hope the pdfs help you help me lol

(Attachment ESP-32 DevKit C Development Board Datenblatt (1).pdf is missing)

(Attachment ESP-32 NodeMCU Developmentboard Pinout Diagram amazon (1).pdf is missing)

(Attachment ESP-32 NodeMCU Developmentboard Schematic (1).pdf is missing)

Ps. I have the mic connected for the sound reactive build. Though can’t figure the user mod bit to configure 14 to use my mic.

As a side note I noticed the ui changed.
Which was good. would it not be possible to list all user mods and enable/disable and configure on the fly without understanding compiling etc?

Hi thank for your response…

An Esp32 wroom I think from az delivery.
I’ll attach a pdf that came with. I’ve no real clue here to be honest. I learn as I go.

Like I said wled says use 4 I’m sure other instructions say 2 so I’m assuming there’s another 2 that’s safe to use?

Hope the pdfs help you help me lol

Sorry reply for rejected…

Can’t attach image of my board

Esp 32 NodeMCU Developmentboard from az delivery

You can basically use any that are listed as GREEN ‘OK’ from the link divsys posted. Best to choose ones that don’t have any caveats listed after them. You can also use up to 8 of them.

Now 10, with the latest 0.14 release…

1 Like

Hi.
I’m having trouble with 14…

So you’re saying any with OK with nothing after it is alright to use to drive addressables? And that’s for my actual chip?

Yes, if it helps I have successfully used: 4,13,16,17,25,26,32,33

Hey hey.
I took a punt at what you advised. Whats the worst that could happen…

Well…

Absolutely nothing. Worked as suggested. Dam cool!!

Who da man? YOU DA MAN lol

Just opened up sooo many options now… Just whuhooo

Thanks again my Illustrious Mentor.

Times are hard so can’t give you a thousand blessings…
… So will 274 do?
Lol good on ya

1 Like

2 - 4 - 13 - 16.
Truly opens up so many thing’s.

Hope this helps somebody cut straight to the point.

Again you da man.

Are you using a mic? Sound reactive…?

Not on that setup. On my 8 output board I do have a terminal for an analog mic but don’t really have plans to use one.

I do have a d1 mini style setup with an analog mic on IO 36 though.

Afternoon.
I tried to add image via email failed yet there one is… Just lol…

The mics not important just makes it feel like an extension of the curve. Makes the rest seem easier… Lol. Apart from touch which just encourages people to get close to my projects… Just and when people get close… things get broken… A bit harder to “break” it via WiFi lol

I’d show you my currant project if I could only figure how… Can’t see wood for the trees…

I tried a 16x16 matrix briefly… On account that the moment I powered it it went pumf… Plume of smoke…
No not my fault… Plugged 5 mtr strip to same connector and that worked fine. So dealing with seller…

So question…
I wanted to use matrix in the base of my lamp with normal strip added to it…
Is this possible? Not sure if setting matrix size will mess with the normal strip added after the matrix and thanks to you on another output.
Hope that makes sense…

HI
i can verify that these pins can be used as I’ve done so in one of my wled projects… Ii have many of the exact same chips from Az D
gpio …

0 1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 25 26 27 32 33.

not including anything else you may need pins for… mics…buttons…sensors… but all can drive leds

Hope that helps.

While your at it check my vid…

The input-only pins cannot drive LEDs. :wink:

Apart from “0” my understanding of pins that can be used to drive leds and the listed ones I gave I chose 6 of them.

After many many seconds of research of esp32 and the wroom variants I found They can be in or out. I’m always open to be a corrected as thats how we Learn :blush:.

Having used 6 of the listed pins in one project., each driving its own its own chain I know them to work no issues. I’m out at the minute but will snapshot the led config screen when I get back.

Also another “project lamp” that has 4 pins driving there own and the mic may do also if it helps anybody figure out possibilities…

Either one hasn’t left the air with that familiar odour of “oh crap!” yet!! Lol

Just amending this post…
I think I’ve uploaded pics. Don’t know where they are? Huh