WLED + MIDI Player?

Hi all.

This is my first post, so my apologies if I’m posting this in the wrong category.

Is anyone aware of a MIDI player that will work with WLEDs? I tried Googling and searching this forum, but I struck out.

What I envision is a string of, say, 100 LEDs that would be placed horizontally along a gutter. The MIDI player would play MIDI files, and would light the LEDs according to these rules:

• Lower notes play towards the left end of the LED strip, and higher notes play towards the right. Basically, think of the strip of LEDs as a piano keyboard.

• The louder the note, the brighter the LED lights.

• Each MIDI channel would be assigned a different color. For example, if a MIDI file uses four changes (e.g., one for soprano, one for alto, one for tenor and one for bass) channel 1 (soprano) notes would be displayed in shades of yellow; channel 2 (alto) would be displayed in shades of red; etc…

I started working on a project like this several years ago using an Arduino plus MIDI hardware, but the project got sidetracked. I’m hoping someone has already created something like this so I don’t have to reinvent the wheel. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

-JS

Hi and welcome to the forum ,

Are you familiar with sound reactive WLED ? or the network sync apps like ledfx , Jinx and xlights ?

One of those options should work for you

Cheers

Hi, and thanks.

I have been playing with LedFx this afternoon. It’s pretty cool, however, I haven’t seen an option to process MIDI files; I only see where it processes audio. Same for the sound reactive WLED, as far as I can tell.

I will look at XLights and Jinx. Thanks for the pointers.

Cheers.

-JS

Since you know Ledfx it could be better to focus on it .In any case you would have to play your MIDI files somewhere on a host so just play it on the host running ledfx and your leds will dance to the music
Cheers