WS2815 Strips

Trying out some Ws2815 strips for the first time. Love them so far but having some issues with them in WLED. When I go to LED preferences and try to change the “length” nothing happens. It doesn’t allow me to only light up 1/2 of the strip. I have a 300 led strip and if I try to only program 200 of them in led preferences, all of them still light up. I’m using a DigQuad so data should not be an issue? All other changes in the app (colors, effects…) change normally. Any ideas?

Check to make sure your segment lengths go down when you try and do only 1/2.
I’ve seen where WLED “remebers” things from your previous settings/presets.
Or alternatively set the Pref->Length to 300 and create your segment with 200 and 100 (with different start points).
You should be able to just light the last 15 LEDs that way.

Where are you setting the 200 value?

Also, are you certain you have WS2815 and not WS2811? I think with the WS2811 you need to set your quantity of LEDS to 1/3of the actual number because it lights up 3 LEDS with each single input.
Don’t quote me on that. It’s just what I gleaned from the comparisons I was reading before buying a bunch of new strips.

(Try setting a segment to 50 and see what happens. You can always change it back)

1 Like

What voltage are those strips? 12V strips typically group 3 LEDs and 24V groups 6 so you actually have 3/6 times fewer pixels than LEDs.

WS2815 are 12V single LED strips.
They also have a redundant signal connection which will skip a dead LED rather than kill all the LEDS after a dead one.
It will keep doing this frog hopping until two LEDs in a row go bad. Then it’s dead like the rest unless you do a manual frog hop over the two bad ones.