Consider changing segments to persist

It seems that everyone new to Wled expects segments to be saved just like everything else. But from reading the responses it’s by design that only using presets saves the segments (and only preset 16?). But there is nothing in the UI that indicates this relationship or requirement - they aren’t even on the same tab. It also means that a user is forced to use presets where they may just want two segments they can manually control as of they were two independent strips. That’s how I started before I tried to add automation via home assistant. Now when I reboot the segments go away and none of my presets work.

Segments can be saved in any presets if you check ‘save segment bounds’. You could make a preset with segment bounds saved and set that preset as your boot preset. Then you will not lose your segments. Maybe even name it Boot-Segments or something.

I am guessing that segments are not saved by default because some people may want different presets with different segment bounds. If segments could not be set by presets then that would greatly reduce the preset options.

Think of it this way, none of the stuff in the main GUI is saved w/out it being in a preset (color, effect, segments). The ‘save’ point is Presets. Everything else is just Active Display Settings.

+1 to this - i’ve been using wled for years but never had reason to use segments.
This year i deployed 13 WLED nodemcu’s each with at least 2 segments, some with 5.
All were supposed to have matching presets which would rotate together over time, an absolute nightmare to get sorted! Not to mention the bug causing everything to corrupt the whole time.

Not a fun time setting up xmas lights this year for sure!

I realise i’m just a frustrated user and there may be very good reason for having segments part of the presets but i would really have benefitted from them being completely separate.

Then you can uncheck “save segment bounds”.

I’m away from home so I can’t check. I know I started with the save segments checkbox set and I may have unset it. Not that I had any real understanding of what that meant. But when I reboot none of my presets work until I recreate the segments at which point the presets start to work again. Since the UX doesn’t explain any of this I spent a couple of hours while waiting for the taxi to the airport trying to work out why the segments were being lost since that appeared to be the problem. Before I discovered many previous confused users who’d also been told they were holding it wrong. There does appear to be a legitimate ‘this is by design’ behind this but it’s very confusing and nothing in the UX even hints at this.

Sounds to me like a perfect ‘excuse’ to learn xLights and send all your WLED instances e.131 or DDP data instead and never rely on WLED saving segments/presets ever again.