Controlling alternate Segments configurations

Hi. New to WLED, and loving it! But I am confused about segments. Setting them as desired and retaining a config between reboots. I have a strip where I want to mainly have all LEDs illuminated- but in other circumstances I want 75% of them set to off/black. I can achieve this easily enough by editing a segment. I can retain that set up by saving to present 16. But then how can I return to 100% on? I have lost slot 16 so have nowhere to save a different segment configuration. Any tips on achieving what seems to be a fairly simple requirement? One last thing… why does WLED wipe any changes to segments? It returns to just Segment0. Thsnks!

I think the short answer is that you can’t, yet. Only one slot, slot 16, is capable of saving segments. You can save your baseline configuration there, then make changes, and then revert to baseline. This is obviously a shortcoming. My understanding is that there are plans to address it, but progress comes when people have time. So, it’ll be done when it’s done.

1 Like

Understood. Thanks kindly for clarifying.

Just following up on this. I was asking originally because I assumed presets would be the answer to the sort of versatility I desired. I’m a newbie, so took me a few more days/weeks with WLED to discover the wonderful HTTP request API functionality. I’m a Home Assistant user and ultimitely that was where I was going to be switching from ALL to 75% segments on. It was fairly straightforward setting up some automations that when triggered control an mqtt.publish service call that edits the S2 (Set segment stop) value.

Here is snippett that might help somebody else…

automation:
  - id: '1604883153000'
    alias: 'WLED-ONE Segments 50 percent'
    trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: input_boolean.spiral_segments
      to: 'on'
    condition: []
    action:
    - service: mqtt.publish
      data_template:
        topic: wled/wled_one/api