Questions about Segments... How and Why

WLED 0.10.2, 812 LEDS (WS2811), 1 nodeMCU

1. I want to make 3 segments for sides and front of house (to display Halloween Eyes on front only). When I make only segment 2 active, segments 1 and 3 still display solid colors (orange and green)… so how do I turn those off? How are palettes set for inactive segments?
  2. Can I make a sequence of this #2 segment only (to play in rotation with other effects).
  3. How do I get sequences to stick? If I reboot WLED , all settings come back except segments. Only segment 0 is present after reboot.

Start here… https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED/wiki/Segments

I had read that several times before but missed that preset 16 saved the segments. Thanks.

John

1 Like

Hi,

Maybe you can configure black color for segment you want off.

The question is HOW to program the other sections (1 and 3). They are
not active (no checkmark) and thus can’t be selected.

Curious minds want to know…

Are you saying you can’t select them (get checkmarks)?

No, I can select any of the three segments. The question is: when I select an effect for the #2 (checked) segment, the other segments light up also but in solid colors. I would think that they should be off because they are unselected. How do I control the unselected segments?

Selecting allows editing. It’s not to enable them.

So… all segments are always on… If I want only segment 2 to light up then I program segments 1 and 3 as black. Is that right?

If I set up 3 segments as above and save it to P16… and I want to sequence with 14 and 15, say… 14 = effect A; 15 = effect B; 16 = Segments programmed as above… the sequences stick from 16… I can’t go back to all leds on a single effect unless I reset the segments (which goes to 0 segments). So I don’t think what I want will be practical until segments can be saved in every preset.

This is hard to explain. Foo.

Segments only do what you tell them. :wink:

Yes, if you just want 2 on, you have to turn off 1 and 3.

but to be clear, you can’t turn 1 and 3 off… but you can make them display black. Correct?

Yes. That’s also off. :wink:

So, expanding on this. Is it possible to save a preset that does not affect what’s going on with segments 1 & 3? Could I have a preset for a set of segments that only affects those segments and leaves the other segments unaffected?

If I need to blackout the other segments, then in order to just have presets for just these 3 segments I would need to have 9 different presets to cover all combinations of just 1 effect. This would massively blow out the presets if I wanted different combinations of effects.

I do realize that this could be fixed by using the JSON API and code to keep track of everything separately to WLED, but I just wanted to check that there is no other way forward before taking that leap into coding.

You can experiment by editing API in preset.
Technically it is possible, but perhaps not by using GUI.

Once you know the json required to perform the “ignore” segments task, you can create a preset that run a json blob (as if it were sent from outside wled).

Is that true, or did I misunderstand how that works?

Not sure if I understand your question…

If some options are missing from (valid) JSON constructed, they retain their old values. WLED doesn’t care where JSON comes from…