Could be a bug, or it could be how its meant to work

Was unsure whether to file a bug or a feature request for this, it certainly doesn’t work how I expected but thats not to say it isn’t how the developer intended. :wink:

In my LED Preferences 2 of the options are:

1. Turn LEDs on after power up/reset
  2. Apply Preset x at boot

Setting option 2 to anything other than 0 seems to override option 1. For example when the thing boots up it defaults to orange LED’s. Thats fine, but I want mine to be green, so I created a green preset and saved it. However if I apply this green preset it also turns the LED’s on. Regardless of what option 1 is set to.

My preferred and expected operation would be that I can set a preset, with a brightness BUT NOT have the LED’s turn on. This would be achieved by unticking the box for 1 but applying a preset. If I wanted them to turn on as well I could tick the box for option 1. By having it work in this manner you can apply a preset and choose whether to turn the LED’s on at boot. As it currently works if you set a preset this overrides the on/off at boot and does what ever the preset is.

The issue here is if I don’t apply a preset and have the LED’s not turn on at boot, then ask Alexa to turn on the light, they light up orange and I have to issue a second command to turn them green. If I could apply the preset but not turn them on, when I ask Alexa to turn them on they would turn on and also be green, best of both worlds.

As I say this is the way I expected it to work, maybe there is a reason for it to be like this, but I can’t see it as it offers less flexibility, than if the options where independent.

Just create preset with the desired brightness (“include brightness”) and then modify API by replacing "on":true with "on":false. This will apply brightness level but turn LEDs off. If you do not want to modify on state, remove "on" key and value.

You can achieve anything with properly created API commands.

Thanks for the info, I’m guessing this isn’t possibly via the standard web interface? I appreciate its all available via the API but the options are there in the interface to have it work as it does now and as I describe above. It also makes the option of “Turn on lights at power on/reset” a little confusing when you can have it set to off but they still turn on.

That is all done in the preset.