ESP8266 and WLED not saving settings after disconnecting

I have an ESP8266 device that refuses to save my settings. I can get the device working when connected to my laptop with a data cable. After I configure it to join my home network (I already was successful with a second ESP8266) I click save. Someone suggested also clicking the security settings and clicking save and reboot. When I remove the data cord and plug it into a power only cord, my settings are lost. Loses home network, won’t save new local ssid. I then need to reflash the device and start over with the same results each time. I can’t seem to find any solutions.

Flash latest nightly build from here and test WLED installation (wled-install.github.io) . If you face the same error with the latest then show the exact build version

Do “Erase flash” prior to uploading newer firmware.
Possibly a file system is incorrectly initialised.

OK, successfully flashed ESP with the nightly build 14.0-b2. After multiple tries I was able to acess WLED-AP and add my home network and hit save. It won’t connect to the home network WLED-AP disappears and I can’t access the device with WLED. I just noticed that the ESP is getting very hot. I’m trying 2 different ESPs in the hope that one will work.

How are you powering your ESP32?

For testing purposes, I suggest you disconnect any LEDs or other devices until you get the WLED GUI connected (somehow).

I flashed the ESP with nothing attached to it. It is powered by USB to my Surface.

I was reacting to your statement:

I just noticed that the ESP is getting very hot.

Very hot is a relative term but typically in electronics, too-hot-to-touch-comfortably means something is broke.

The ESP32’s do run quite warm, but some boards have been known to have bad voltage regulators that cause grief.

thanks

flashed the drive with the nightly build, wled worked until i tried to conncet to my home network. New build 0.14.0-b2

I am not sure we still talking about ESP8266 or ESP32 . If you are using ESP8266 and sure it is not having HW issue ( not abused ) and still facing an issue after full flash with usb then please show the board as we might have the same to replicate . Other ESP8266s we test seems to flash correctly and connect to wifi

Thank You, I have some new ESP8266 coming tomorrow, maybe I got a bad batch.

Three new ESP8266 and the same problem. I was able to flash each one and assign it to my home netwrork. As soon as I click Save and change from WLED-AP to Home Network, NOTHING!. I can’t reach the ESP8266 and WLED-AP has vanished.
Not sure where to go from here.

Have you got a simple USB wall charger you could try?
I’m guessing the Surface could do some funky operations with the USB serial port.

If nothing else, it would reduce the variables.
The other option would be to try going back to an older build.

I show you mine and you show yours , this is such board , will not connect to wifi on new builds , i think if you are invested on any board that then might be you could tweak the code for wifi power same as what is done for lollin c3

Does 5V 2A (3A?) VIN vs USB power make any difference for that board?

Yes, I tried a wall charger. I don’t think it’s a power issue. After about a dozen tries, i finally got the ESP8266 flashed and loaded WLED. I went into WLED-AP and added my home network and clicked save. When I connected to my home network IP, the device isn’t recognized by WLED. Now the device isn’t even turning on, the blue light goes out after a few seconds. I’ve tried different cables both Power only and Data. If I push the Reset button on the ESP8266, the blue light momentarily lights up again. The LEDs don’t light up at all, but they did an hour ago.
What could I be missing?

I did not check because someone used the other ones with tasmota and I have only one now next to me ( I cant do reliable tests only on one board as we kinda abuse hw ) I could try that though and also to tweak the code if the OP is having the same board

Dumb question, but did you try rebooting your router? I have solved many weird issues over the years by doing that.

yes, I did reboot the router.

This is my board.