First of all I want to say thank you for this wonderful piece of software!
From several former projects I did have some leftovers:
- 1m of an APA102 strip (30 LEDs) from an ambilight project,
- 1m of aluminium channel (bought but never used for ambilight),
- a couple of walnut boards from building a chair,
- some epoxy from the same project and
- a power supply from a broken device.
So I bought a couple of Wemos D1 mini boards and matching socket for the power supply and started playing around. Hardest part was building the base. There is a thick board at the bottom (mostly hollow) and a thinner board at the top. In between is a layer of epoxy. The first LED shines into this epoxy layer which makes for a nice effect. The edges are machined with a router and a 45 degree bit.