Is MQTT more stable than the native Home Assistant integration

Hi,

Using the native Home Assistant integration sometimes misses a command and I’d like to hear whether somebody knows whether using MQTT is a more stable experience.

Sometimes I need to send the power off (or on) command twice to actually turn off/on the lights and home assistant will still wrongly show it as on/off.

I am using wled 11.0 and HA 2021.1.3.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Never heard of. Could it be a bad Wifi connectuon to the controller?

I don’t think so, the wemos d1 mini is one meter from the router and I never noticed the strip not reacting when using the app.

I’ve had a similar experience. (wemos d1 r2) Not turning on or off, commands not being accepted, strip dimming randomly, esp device resetting randomly, state being displayed incorrectly in HA, etc. For me the issue seemed to be induced interference from a high voltage power cable being too close to data line. Maybe. When I isolated my esp device, led strip and power supply from any and all other cables lying close by the problem seemed to disappear. In future, for permanent installations at least, I think I’ll be using shielded cable and grounding the shielding.

The cabling should have enough distance but I will look into that just to be sure.

Any ideas whether MQTT will solve that problem because the message will be resent when the client(wled) comes online again?

Sorry, I don’t know if using mqtt will help. I use service calls in HA to control almost all attributes of wled integration and I have not had any issues yet, aside from the interference issue.

Haven’t tried mqtt yet. I will probably do so soon though as I cannot set secondary or tertiary colors, or toggle either mirror effect or preset cycle/playlist via service calls. I know secondary and tertiary colors can be controlled using mqtt but I’m not sure about mirror effect and preset cycle/playlist. When I do try mqtt though I will try and see whether there is a difference.

Regarding the Wifi, my connection to wled device is not particularly great but it still works without issue.

Even the sync function between wled devices works correctly and they both have a fairly weak signal.

Your wemos d1 mini is very close to router so the cause shouldn’t be a bad Wifi connection. So maybe the problem is something completely different. Have you checked the HA log for any error messages after seeing the unexpected behavior? If there are that may give a clue as to what the issue is. Maybe try removing and re-adding the wled device on integrations page. Could be the DHCP on your router keeps issuing different IP addresses to the device for some reason. You can set a static IP in wled web ui. Or, if you prefer, set a reserved address for the device on the router itself.

Also you can take a look here if all else fails: FAQ · Aircoookie/WLED Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your input. Please let me know when you tried mqtt (and how you set it up would be great too :wink: ).

I gave the wemos a static IP. I think your initial idea that it was power was very good because I have two smart plugs very close to the wemos and these plugs already gave me issue with some other devices (a radio chip that had power issues for 10 min once in a while when I switched power via the smart plugs.). I’ll have a look into that, thanks!

This looks great, can you give me some info on how to get my Home Assistant working to show this. Thanks.