Need help Wiring WS2814 RGBW

Hello guys,

This is my first thread, but I’m following WLED project with interest since some month.

Now I decided to give it a try and I’m testing it with a WS2814 strip. I already setup the “Led Preferences” as per WLED doc (compatible led strips).

Now, my issue: I have some flickering using the data cable directly from the ESP32 to the Strip.
I wanted to give it a try because the distance between the board and the strip is around 20/30cm.

So I ended ups buying this Level Shifter:

The problem is that it’s my first project ever and I’m in trouble with the wiring.

I find some schemes around the web (and in this forum too), but I’m confused because I’m powering the ESP32 with the USB port.

Can someone help me with a simple scheme?

Note: probably this Level Shifter is not the best to use with this project. For this reason I also ordered another chip ( SN 74AHCT125).

Feel free to suggest me which one I should use. I only ask you some patience and tell me the wiring cause I’m very bad in this kind of job :smiley:

These I2C levelshifters are too slow for that specific task. They won’t work!

You can try powering the EDP separately with an another Power supply (5V ~1A)

I wouldn’t recommend this. But if you want to do This keep in mind that this Board is not made for carrying higher amperage than 1A. That’s even the limit

I really recommend This Wled page

Thank you for your support!

Now I’m using USB on the ESP32 but obviously a PSU 24V/4.5A for the strip. Is that not ok?

EDIT:

This is my wiring setup without the Level Shifter:

Was that correct?

If yes, can you help me adding the 74AHCT125?

Seems Fine so far.
I personally would add a Resistor, fir reference also shown in the pictures below!

Here are some Images for wiring the 74AHCT125 with one output:

Or two output

Addendum:
Boards where the chip is already soldered on might have the pins labeled.
One indicator is the notches or the dot on the chip.
Nothing should go wrong with that

Thank you again @TheLight3r.

I saw those exact pics some hours ago and I have some question about this setup.

1. GND wiring: Pin 1, 4, 7, 9 and 12 need to be connected together to the GND pin of ESP32?
  2. 5V wiring: Pin 10, 12 and 14 need to be connected to the 5V Pin of ESP32?
  3. 62 to 100 Ohm resistors are all ok? No matter which one?

*Pin 13
Well, As you said you will powering it through USB, you need 5V for level converting and powering the chip. Therefore use the Vin Pin for powering it!

And yes, it needs to be connected to same ground potential as the data line.

Yes. This it correct!
As long as it is within the given range ofc.

1 Like

*Pin 13

Sure, sorry it was a miss click

Therefore use the Vin Pin for powering it!

Do you mean “powering the Level Shifter”?

So, let’s see if I am a good student :smiley:
I didn’t include the resistor as you already answered to me :slight_smile:

*Edited due to a bad color on the Pin 10

Right, sorry bout that.

?

Other than that, it looks good.
All Pins are assigned right and yes, the resistors are not mandatory but still recommended :eyes:

?

That was a joke :smiley:

Thank you so much for your support. I’m going to buy some resistor and then I’ll try this setup.

1 Like

Alright :smile:

No problem.
If something does not work as planned, we will help you getting it working! :slight_smile:

1 Like

And also you can try powering the levelshifter from the 5V pin, which I discovered now :joy: