Not all leds lighting up after I added a new strip

Hi everyone,
I am installing 3 stripes of 5 meters long WS2811 96/m leds with an ESP8266 running WLED.
I installed the first strip, ran into the common issues of data line being too long and fixed it, since then everything was working perfectly, but I soldered another 5m strip, plugged my power supply in to check if it was working, the strip worked and after I installed it, it doesnt work at all.
What is even weirder is that the last led lighting up is 27 ICs behind my solder.
I tried disabling the automatic brightness limiter and adjusting the number of leds in the preferences but nothing works.
I still get voltage all across the leds.
What I have also noticed is that the blue in the IC just behind the last one working doesnt turn on.

sounds like a bad chip or your segment length is incorrect. My bet is on bad chip on the strip.

If thats the case then the bad chip is already installed and glued to an aluminium profile, how can I adress this ?

Easiest thing I can think of would be to connect a data wire to one of the solder pads before that last working set of LEDs and connect the other end to your newly added strip and see if it passes the data to them then. If it does there is something wrong with either the ic of the last working ones or the first non working ones. You would either have to replace the strip or cut out that section and replace it.

Possible the last working ones are not passing data to the first non working OR the first non working are broke and not receiving the data.

But if the problem was a bad IC I wouldnt get voltage all across the strip ?

Also I cant even imagine the struggle of soldering upside down

You would have voltage across everything. Voltage is parallel. The issue is with either sending or receiving data.

I got rid of the bad IC and glued a new one I am now left with this does anyone has any idea how to adress this ?

umm it does not look like you soldered the 2 strips together and it also looks like you somehow melted a couple of the LEDs. How to address it :face_with_raised_eyebrow: solder them together and if it does not work those melted LEDs are likely bad lol.

I know that, I already tried soldering them. Only the casing is damaged they still work fine. My question was how would I solder them as they are upside down ?

Ah gotcha. It’s likely not going to be super easy but what you could try is to heat up each pad to burn that thin coating they have over them off and then hold your soldering iron on the pad or if you are using a larger tip hold the tip on the edge of the pad of both strips and touch your solder to the pads and see if you can get it to flow w/out falling off. It may also help to add a lil flux to the pads prior to holding the iron there when soldering. The better the soldering iron the easier it would be (I know that’s not always an option). Some of those wicked cheap fixed temp wand soldering iron’s are not the best at maintaining good sold heat to get solder to melt quick.

The other thing you could try is to use a sharp pointed object (pin/needle, exacto knife) to ruff up the copper of the pads before trying to solder to help it stick better.

You could even practice by cutting the part you removed in 1/2 taping to the wall and soldering the 2 ends together to get a feel for it.

It would also not be a bad idea to put a little bit of electrical tape under the joint to be sure nothing will short to the aluminum channel.

Your other option would be to unstick more of the strips so that you could bend them enough so that you are not soldering upside down.

Or maybe someone else will chime in with some more ideas.