On firmware 0.14, all WLED settings are reset every time the Serial connection is disconnected, and other problems

Hello.
I bought an Ambilight strip with an Adalight controller on Aliexpress - https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005001316521548.html?spm=a2g2w.orderdetail.0.0.1a524aa6fNsGhB&sku_id=12000029145452201. Powered by Wemos D1 mini (ESP8266 4 Mb).

This device (WLED firmware 0.13.1 or 0.13.3 - I don’t remember) has a problem with connecting via Wi-Fi (it works very unstable and after some time it does not allow you to connect until the WLED is rebooted, constantly informing you that the password is not correct, although it was not even changed - problem 1).

Therefore, I decided to update the WLED firmware to the latest one (0.14). But on the latest firmware, all WLED settings are reset every time the connection to the computer via Serial is disconnected (through any program: AmbiBox, Prismatik, Hyperion, HyperHDR) - problem 2. This is some kind of problem with all WLED firmwares above 0.13.1 or 0.13.3. This is critical for me, since by default the firmware is set to 30 LEDs and I need to change them every time to my 180 LEDs, after each shutdown of the computer or the Ambilight program.

Therefore, I decided to build my own version of the firmware with my default settings. Changing the MAX_LEDS parameter changes the number of LEDs only after flashing, but after resetting the WLED settings this parameter is ignored and set back to 30 LEDs. But they can be changed in the DEFAULT_LED_COUNT parameter and it will work. (problem 3).

But I also want to make sure that initially when WLED starts up, the LEDs work at minimum brightness or with black light. Since when you turn off the computer, the WLED LED settings are turned on by default (brightness 127, color FFAA00) and this interferes with sleep - I don’t need such a night light. I have configured the DEFAULT_COLOR and DEFAULT_BRIGHTNESS parameters, but they are not applied by default - problem 4.
I also want to apply the default settings in which the WLED access point will always be available, but I cannot find such a parameter for creating firmware - problem 5.

Since all my WLED settings are reset after each shutdown of the PC or Ambilight program, I need to set my main settings directly into the firmware so that they are set to default.
Or we need to find a solution so that the firmware settings are not reset, as was the case in versions 0.13.1 or 0.13.3.

Please suggest how to solve at least some of these problems. In the instructions, FAQ, Issue on Github and questions on the forum, I could not find a description of some problems or a working solution for me.

This issue in discord, you can contact me there - Discord

Here is a photo of my device, as Google says, it is Wemos D1 mini (ESP8266 4 Mb).

I’m not very experienced in this kind of thing and I’m trying to do everything according to your WLED instructions, but they don’t have enough information for me.

It sounds like you might have a faulty Esp8266. It is not a normal problem for settings to not be retained after a power cycle. There are tons of people using Esp8266 controllers without issue.

I would try flashing firmware from here: https://wled-install.github.io/ and seeing if it works.

Also if you are trying to power a lot of LEDs from that boards micro USB connection that could be another issue. Those usb ports and the components on that board are not designed to have a lot of current being pulled through them.

This is not a problem with Esp8266, since such a reset does not occur on earlier WLED firmwares.
I also tried to reflash it through the web installer, there is no difference, the problem persists.
According to my measurements, the entire device consumes little current, less than 0.5A. In addition, the LED strip has a separate USB cable for power.

The installer site I linked to is a different site than install.wled.me

Again, maybe your cable is bad.

Or maybe your Esp8266 is malfunctioning. They are wicked cheap. I would just buy another one and see if the new one works. There is nothing special about the one you bought in that kit. Any generic one will work just as well.

If you are possibly ending up with a bad flashed image it certainly could cause all sorts of problems. Tons of people use newer versions of WLED on Esp8266 boards without issue, so the problem is not with the firmware.

Have you tried reflashing 13.1 or 13.3? Do they work? You said before upgrading you were having wifi issues. So even before upgrading you were having issues. This again would point to a failing Esp8266 or corruption issue.