Please poke holes in my plan to use existing home wiring for powering LED strips

I’m putting in some under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen. There are 3 different sections that I will be lighting- one section has a 14/2 wire from a wall switch carrying mains voltage. From there, there are 14/2 wires to the other 2 sections that are otherwise not connected at all to the home power now that I have disconnected them.

My plan is to hook that switched line with mains voltage into a 5V power supply. That 5V would power my ESP8266 or ESP32 and the LED strip there, and then I plan on using the #14 wires to the other sections to carry +5VDC, GND, and the WS8212B data signal (using logic level shifters, of course).

From my estimate of how long these wires are (one goes up into the attic to clear a doorway), I think my worst-case voltage drop could be around .8 or .9 volts at full brightness (25’ estimate, worst case of 6amps), so I might have to mitigate that in wled to limit current.

Am I missing anything?

Also, since wled can only control 1 output pin, I guess I have to use the same data signal to all 3 sections, which means I could not do animations across all of the sections and each section would behave the same as the other sections.

Find out what your local electrical code requires for low voltage cabling in the same place you find mains AC wiring/cabling.

At the least, label both ends with something other than black electrical tape / tags, perhaps blue. That is to prevent an electrician from incorrectly identifying those wires/cables and possibly cutting and jumpering them into mains AC to make an emergency repair. Perhaps they called in to do something completely unrelated, perhaps an emergency call while you are away.

Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes