Random bright red flash - SP511e/TM1814

Firstly, thanks to this community for putting together such great tutorials and their work getting to that point.

I have an issue and would appreciate any feedback to help my troubleshooting.

I’m running tm1814 (12v) led strip ~3m long and have 2x sp511e controllers flashed with WLED. I have two good quality power supplies also.

I’m having random red flashing, can be within minutes or a few hours (all leds on bright red ~0.5s), i’m not sure exactly what may be the cause. I’ve tried a few sp511e firmwares but always have the random red flashing, albeit with varying occurrences/frequencies. This is particularly annoying as the light is above our bed. I thought I had it narrowed down to when the wifi channel changes, and locking ch1 on my AP seemed to fix, right up until I flashed the latest (WLED_0.14.0_sp511e_2m.bin). I confirmed that manually changing the wifi ch would cause the brief red flash.

To summarise;
Random red flashing (controller uptime ok ie not rebooting)
Occurs on both controllers, various firmwares & different power supplies.

I was thinking that changing from default data pin gpio3 to an alternate “available” pin next might work as gpio3 is high at boot?

Many thanks in advance.

I’m having the same issue. TM1814 12V, 2 metres, good power supply… have no idea what causes this.
Can you show me your LED Settings for TM1814? I can’t force mine to work under 0.14.0…

Hi mate, attached config, i just changed from .json to .text. This is about the most stable config i’ve managed to put together.

wifi sleep option didn’t work, considering the red flash occurs when switching between wifi channels.

wled config.txt (1.9 KB)

Unfortunately, won’t work for me. Still getting red flashes… :frowning:

Do you have the off refresh setting checked? I believe those lights go into a demo mode if powered with no controller. The off refresh setting reminds them not to do that.

1 Like

You can’t turn this feature off for TM1814 :slight_smile:

Update… 24hrs on attached config and no flashes. Makes me think there is a combination of settings and other factors that amount to the issue. Have left wifi sleep off and maintained the homeassistant integration. I even powered off the controller and upon powering back on it went straight to preset with no flash or rainbow startup.

Attached presets and config if that helps. Have disabled most of the integrated push buttons & IR remote - I can live with that for now

wled_cfg_31.10.23.txt (1.9 KB)
wled_presets_31.10.23.txt (2.4 KB)

1 Like

I’ll pass on one issue that I just stepped in with some of my working setups.
Overlapping segments can cause annoying random flickers, especially with effects.

You’re not allowed 2 segments that reference the same LED(s).

Still not my issue - I only have one long segment configured.
The problem doesn’t occur with any effect on - what makes me think that it’s some problem with refreshing/updating a configuration signal when solid color is lit… checked voltage on data line - stable 5V+ on both ends of the strip.

Checking the voltage on the data line with a voltmeter won’t tell you anything useful.
The data line is a rapidly changing data stream that is timing dependent as long as the minimum voltage requirements are met. There is no voltage-drop issue associated with the data line, that’s a power line issue. If you want to see data issues live, you need an oscilloscope.

And to be clear, the segments I was referring to earlier were defined in presets, not the strip configuration (don’t know if that was clear).
If you save all your existing presets, you could try wiping the board, reload and just build one simple preset of 1 segment to see if the problem still exists (trying to eliminate variables here).

1 Like

Yessire, it was clear - I only have one segment in presets. Just made a test with one segment of 5 LEDs - after just few seconds after re-configuring the whole strip flashed red.
That’s how it looks like: Dropbox - 2023-10-31 22.44.54.mp4 - Simplify your life (sorry for the mess, that’s my “hobby room” :wink:

1 Like

I think I solved that :star_struck:
I had my target FPS set to 60. After I went down to 30 - no red flashes anymore!

1 Like

Further to resolutions above, I found another fix for the light flashing randomly. Seems to stem from home assistant, when both my wled integrations are disabled in home assistant, the flashing stops. Alas, once enabled again the random flashing resumes. I “disabled polling” under the device options and that has solved my issue.