SP511 and RGBW strips

Hi all! Due to full support of RGBW strips like WS2814 was added in wled 0.14 releases is it possible to create custom build for old projects with SP5x1 controllers with SR AND RGBW strips support? I’m using SP511 for kitchen small under closet led light and it’s power enough for it.

Already there, I’m running a number of SP511e controllers with 0.14.0 as well as 0.14.1-b3 and they support SK6812 RGBW just fine. TM1814 and all the other protocols are supported as well.

I don’t run any SR versions, but I believe V0.13.3 will support that (check Serg’s site).

Hmm, main issue, as I wrote - Sound Reactive tree of ESP8266. Latest Serg’s version of ESP 8266 SR was 0.13.0.b3. After this version SR for ESP8266 development was closed by all WLED core members. Due to many changes, which was added to Wled firmware (which also couldn’t be supported by ESP8266 chip) there is part of important changes (like new strips) which can be interesting for SP511e SR owners. Questions - is it possible to create intermediate version of ESP8266 SR firmware with RGBW strips support but without all other newest addons?

It is certainly possible if you’re willing to compile the source yourself.

In the long term, ESP8266 support will be phased out as the chip just doesn’t have sufficient resources.

I personally have at least 10 - 15 SP511E installs and I don’t expect to need much more than bug fixes beyond 0.14.1. For small installs they’re perfectly adequate.

Realistically for fully supported SR installs, it’s well worth the effort to move to ESP32.

You might still be able to OTA it by gzipping the binary.

You are speaking about new release without SR or combination of new release and SR manual mix?

Pretty sure if you want 8266/8285 SR w/newer releases, you’ll end up compiling yourself to remove extra pieces.

The other alternative is the MoonModules fork, which has a number of precompiled versions that mix and match modules to allow for “Audio-Reactive” versions (their alternative terminology for SR). Worth a look depending on what you need.

The problem for the 8266 was that many of the underlying libraries also changed. So it would have been a massive amount of work to get audio reactive working on 8266. Softhack thought getting audio sync working was doable. But the ESP8266s bring so many bottlenecks that they will likely be dropped altogether.

Thank you for excellent answer. That’s all, that I need. Kitchen isn’t such important for SR functionality place.
B.T.W. - all done, last Wled firmware was successfully uploaded, WS2815 strip was changed to WS2814.