Using WLED with QLC+ and LEDfx

Hello

I’m doing a QLC+, LEDfx and WLED project in which I mix standard DMX fixtures and ESP8266 WLEDs.
These latest ESP8266 work very well either in E1 .31 for QLC+ or on LEDfx, everything is OK.
I am looking for a solution allowing me to switch from QLC+ to LEDfx and vice versa without rebooting the ESPs and the software.
Anyone have a solution? either by a button, or by a macro or any other means.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kendaisy

Just a clarification :

I just want to switch the ESP8266 from one app to the other, these 2 apps continuing to work in parallel of course

Kendaisy

What do you have to do currently to make this work with WLED?

To switch from LEDfx to QLC+, in LEDfx I have to turn off each of the devices one by one then go to QLC+ to activate the E1.31 output assigned to all the ESP8266 WLEDs.
Similarly, to switch from QLC+ to LEDfx, I stop the E1.31 output then I return to LEDfx and apply the current effect to all devices.

Kendaisy

It’s not really instantaneous…

What would be acceptable:
LEDfx permanently connected on all WLED devices and the E1.31 output of QLC+ deactivated.
In this case it is LEDfx which controls the devices.
Conversely, to switch to QLC+ I activate the E1.31 output, to return to LEDfx I deactivate it.

can’t you just stop the other program to deactivate its output?

Yes

As soon as I close one of the 2 softwares, the other takes over.

The 2 protocols are taken into account by WLED without any discrimination.

then i don’t understand the problem you are trying to solve.

No

I absolutely have to use QLC+ for my job and I would like to use LEDfx for its functions\effects with audio such as spectrum visualizer.

Honestly I would like to switch my WLEDs from one software to another in one click

I’m ready to recompile WLED. For that I have to go back to the sources and understand the architecture of this project.

you could run your WLED in two configurations with the only difference being the E1.31 universe.
you would then choose the software to control your WLED by setting the appropriate universe.
this might even be automated by using curl or a bookmark.
since current WLED is now using config files instead of EEPROM, there might be a feature in future to load configs.

another solution could be E1.31 priority, which is currently not implemented on WLED (but QLC+ supports it)

I don’t see this as a WLED issue. Basically whatever program locks onto them through E1.31 is going to be in control. I don’t think there is much you can do w/out killing the link between the program and WLED and then ‘connecting’ with the other program. Sure you may be able to break the link by toggling WLED settings or something but you would still need to connect from your program after.

Thank you to all of you.

I will take a closer look in the source code and see what I am allowed to do.

I will keep you posted in this thread.

Hello everyone

I return to this thread to announce that I have found a way to switch between QLC+ and LEDfx without having to turn off one of them.

After some research in the source code of WLED, it was enough to complete the list of DMWmode, to implement specific code for my needs. (To be continued…)

(…after)

To be able to control WLED from these two applications, I use 2 universes:

• WLED universe configurated in setting page
  • WLED + 2 universe

On universe WLED+2 ,I detect the failover request. In addition, I process DMX frames from QLC+:

• ch 1: switch mode 0…128 = Mode Effect 129…255 = Mode LEDfx
  • ch 2: brightness
  • ch 3: selection effect
  • ch 4: speed
  • ch 5: intensity of effect
  • ch 6: color palette selection
  • ch 7 to 9: primary colors
  • ch 10 to 12: secondary colors

(To be continued…)

(…after)

In LEDfx mode, I do not process any data received.

LEDfx uses the E1.31 protocol to encapsulate DMX frames.
These have a maximum of 512 channels which gives for LEDfx a maximum of 170 RGB LEDs (or 128 RGBW LEDs).

Personally I use matrices of 8x32 = 256 LEDs.
In order to avoid black holes on the matrices, the algorithm in LEDfx mode addresses all 256 LEDs. It adapts according to the real number of LEDs.
I duplicate the data of the first LEDS on the complementary ones.

(To be continued…)

(…after)

Now I am able, on two PCs, to run VirtualDJ which drives QLC+ on the 2nd PC. On this 2nd PC also runs LEDfx which receives the audio stream from VirtualDJ.

QLC+ drives several lights (moving heads, ParLED, scan, …) and now 8x256 LED matrices (12 home-made copies) that I can switch between my QLC+ lights show and LEDfx to be sensitive to the sound of music.

It was my deal.

If some of you wish to have information to achieve this type of configuration, you can use this topic to ask me questions.

If anyone knows the procedure for posting photos or files on the forum, I’m all ears.

You can just copy and paste the photos from photo editing software to here or use the upload /hyperlink buttons