V0.13-b6 issue loading presets

With 2 Digquad ESP32 LAN boards with V0.13-b6 i face a problem with presets. I can create presets just fine, but doing so sometimes they just “dissapear” and i get the following info: “Sorry, there was an issue loading your presets!” with a backup of the last known good state.

Also one time when creating presets it say “refresh page” if I do so, everything is gone. Is this a known issue with this release? Thanks in advance.

That has happened to me a few times when I had a lot of presets. How many do you have?

I happend when I had 4 but also when i had about 12. Seems random, I have it since I have these boards/WLED version combo (about 1 week). But today I wanted to program the presets and create a loop with timings for daytime/nighttime. So today i came very apperant to me.

It happend now 4-5times, so I quit it for now, otherwise I am afraid in wasting a lot of time doing something I do not understand to fix at the moment.

Have had the same issue a few times.
In my case I think it may be linked to saving settings in 1 browser and then opening WLED on a different type of browser and/or different device completely. Also seems worse when I’ve done a bunch of add/change/deletes to segments and creating complicated presets.

When I see the “last known good backup” I’ve had some success in doing a copy paste into a text file.
I edit the file and trim out blanks and usually some trash characters. I’ve been able to recover some presets that way.

I’ve had to do the same cleanup on occasion when I just save my presets file.
When I bring them up in the text editor, there’s a whack of unwanted white space.

I get the impression it’s improved a bunch with more recent versions, but I still check now and again.

Goodday divsys, Thanks for your reply. I did go from computer to phone and back. But since reading your reply i kept it only on the phone and than, even when saving a preset, everything “disappears”.

But I also now facing a issue that both controllers keep losing their LED preferences. The outputs (4 per controller) are sometimes getting reset to the standard of 30 and the rest disappears, this happens upon a chang I made for current limiter, but sometimes also when just selecting an effect. Drives me crazy this instability, seems like a bug. But on the good news side of things, the LAN connections is great for XLights :slight_smile:

Definitely erodes your confidence when this stuff happens.
Personally I stay away from using the phone browsers/apps, they don’t “feel” as mature to me (that’s just MHO, no real data).

I’d suggest keep it to the PC or a tablet if possible.
The other thing to do - make regular backups!
Spent too many years with *PBB systems and it’s too easy with Ver 0.13.

*(Prayer-Based-Backup → "Please God, don’t let it happen to me)

That sounds like a filesystem issue. Check yours via the Info button and make sure it’s over 64k.

Good point. Ejwind, are you sure the binary matches your board? I’m not sure if it would even boot if you had say a 4MB binary on a 2MB board.

Seeing you’re up to 0.13, it might be worth a wipe and flash via USB (not OTA) with the latest (0.13.0-b6??). Would guarantee a clean up to date filesystem. Even easier if you have a backup of the presets…

Hello, I just checked, it is 173,3kB and 138.8kB.

Ok, you mean with a bootloader and than flash it? I am a little bit lost in how to do it…so if you can please explain it in little Noob steps it’s much appreciated :smiley: received the boards from Quindor and updated them OTA with WLED_0.13.0-b6_ESP32_Ethernet.bin

Or is this not the correct one?

I would expect more than that. Try flashing via web installer.

Hello i did flash it first with V2 webflasher vor V13 with lan. connected no connection, did the same for webflasher with V12 with LAN and clean install, no internet connection. Reset my modem, no connection… Please help!

Edit: I am a total noob, i did not login via AP and set the ethernetport open that way…

I’m having the same issue with v0.13-b6. Definitely a filesystem issue, maybe with memory access/writes overlapping. And possibly linked to Time-controlled presets.
I’m using ESP32-D0WDQ6 (rev 1). I’ve flashed with the web installer v2. When the problems started, I used esptool to erase the controller, flashed the bootloader, then flashed with the esp32 binary file. Started ok, but problem somehow crept back in after about a day. I use time controlled presets to turn on-off my controller. I also use two channels with two segments.
I also have two Wemo D1 8266 controllers running v0.13-b6, and have no issues with either of them (although they only have one channel, but I don’t think that’s where the problems are).

I downgraded back to v0.13-b4. And so far everything is working perfectly. I’d suggest the problem is likely in the new ESP32 partition layout starting in v0.13-b5.

1 Like

Check in the info settings of Wled that you have the following memory allocated.

Around 1024Kb for ESP8266
Around 1500Kb for ESP32

I have this memory on both models, 1507 for esp32 and 1024 for 8266. Have it running now on v.0.13.0-b4 and both esp32’s.

1 preset and synced together. So far no issues, yet, changed and saved the preset via mobile. Xlights is running like a dream on schedule.

I am yet afraid to create more presets, but maybe if I have more time I will give it a try again. But for now, if I am not touching it, it seems stable.

I’m currently running 3 ESP32’"s that are synched together. The master unit is running around 30 presets saved as a playlist and I’ve not be able to re-create your issue. It’s a Christmas light setup using 600 leds via 3 controllers.

I’m back to v0.13-b4 and it’s working perfectly (has 1507 kB memory).
I will test v0.13-b6 after Christmas and update you then.

I believe there are some limitations with the little file system regarding re-allocating deleted memory slots and presets however this shouldn’t cause any real issues unless memory usage was high.
I’ll do some detailed tests after Christmas when the controllers become available again.