VSCode env setup for Mini D1 ESP32

Hi,
I just got my QuinLED-Dig-Uno (ESP32 version) board (still awaiting the LED strip to come in the mail) and successfully flashed the latest WLED (0.11.0) version ((WLED_0.11.0_ESP32_ledpin16.bin) on it; I was able to configure my network setup and connect with the app on my mobile phone.

Next, I installed VSCode and PlatformIO, compiled WLED and flashed my board. The issue I have is that with my own complied code - the app times out accessing the ESP32 board; While WLED-AP works as expected and my network credentials are entered - the ESP32 WiFi never connects to my WiFi network (checked all clients on my network). Flashing back the pre-compiled binary gets everything to work as before;

This is the ENV I used in platformio.ini -
[env:wemos_d1_mini32]
platform = espressif32
board = wemos_d1_mini32
build_unflags = {common.build_unflags} build_flags = {common.build_flags_esp32} -D LEDPIN=16
lib_ignore =
ESPAsyncTCP
ESPAsyncUD

I think that my env configuration is incorrect but not sure what it should be set to (I tied dozens of flags/options without success).

Any help is greatly appreciated !

I believe it has to do with the load address needing established not at 0x0000… but 0x1000…

Thank you for your quick reply.
Could you please point me to a link/site that shows how to do this?

Much appreciated!

https://github.com/Aircoookie/WLED/wiki/Install-WLED-binary [ESP32 section]

Thanks for the link - very helpful.
ESP32 board is detected and the code is loaded into 0x1000 as follows:

Detecting chip type… ESP32
Connecting…

Chip Info:

• Chip Family: ESP32*
    • Chip Model: ESP32D0WDQ6 (revision 1)*
    • Number of Cores: 2*
    • Max CPU Frequency: 240MHz*
    • Has Bluetooth: YES*
    • Has Embedded Flash: NO*
    • Has Factory-Calibrated ADC: YES*
    • MAC Address: 7C:9E:BD:39:7A:C0*
      Uploading stub…
      Running stub…
      Stub running…
      Changing baud rate to 460800
      Changed.
    • Flash Size: 4MB*
    • Flash Mode: dout*
    • Flash Frequency: 40MHz*
      Erasing flash (this may take a while)…
      Chip erase completed successfully in 2.4s
      Compressed 15872 bytes to 10320…
      Writing at 0x00001000… (100 %)Wrote 15872 bytes (10320 compressed) at 0x00001000 in 0.3 seconds (effective 501.6 kbit/s)…
      Hash of data verified.

Unfortunately, I get the same issue -
On my owned compiled bin - I can get into WLED-AP, configure the SSID and enter credentials - and yet - the device does not connect to my WiFi network (the same way it does with the pre-compiled binary).

Any suggestion on how to further debug this is highly appreciated.

I think you also need these:
[esp32]
build_flags = -w -g
-DARDUINO_ARCH_ESP32
-DCONFIG_LITTLEFS_FOR_IDF_3_2

Thanks huggy-d1.
These are already present in my setup.

Do you happen to know how was WLED_0.11.0_ESP32_ledpin16.bin created (which [env:?] was used)?
Was it used based on an existing platformio.ini env? or, a custom env (manually created like the one I copied above)?

Thanks!

I would have to either ask @Aircookie, or figure out what tools are used to build / publish the firmware. I’d like to think I could figure it out, but don’t have the time.

I truly appreciate your help on this so far!
I will follow your suggestion.

Many thanks!