Web server refuses connections version 0.10.0

I upgraded to version 0.10.0 and after a while the d1 mini would start refusing connections to port 80. I could still ping the device and connect from my phone through the app and web interface. 1 time connecting to the web interface on my phone suddenly made it work on my computer, or if I reloaded the nic on my computer it would work. This morning I tried to connect and couldn’t connect from any device. I have downgraded to 0.9.1. I will see if I have any issues.

Scraped from chat, this is using quin-uno controllers that came with D1 mini. :wink: @Quindor

1 Like

What is your router model? It sounds like this could be an ARP issue, I believe @mike2nl said that could happen with many router implementations. We might have to add something called an Gratuitous ARP to improve reliability with less-than-ideal ARP implementations.

I’m running a netgate 3100 with up to date pfsense. Controllers are on the same vlan as everything else. I could check ARP settings, I didn’t have a problem with WLED on a NodeMCU but never ran it on a D1 mini. I’m running the standard 8266.bin. lemme know if you need any other info.

Interesting that it worked on the NodeMCU but not the D1 mini… You could try and enable Disable WiFi sleep in WiFi settings, that may help. Doesn’t appear to be a signal strength issue.

@Aircoookie @hmjgriffon
-> I believe @mike2nl said that could happen with many router implementations

Yes that is the case. And now with the NodeMCU it is working, it tells me that the mcu board handles things different. For one part logical seen the NOT equal compiler settings. To repeat now the same envoriment as with the D1 MIni… the N-MCU must run the same time with exat the same binary and flashed with the same tool, then he would have nearly the same ongoing. But that is NOT possible. You can’t compare these both boards, the Node MCU handles things different.

And I have seen it to often that one mcu was not working and then an advise was given that the router could be the issue and check here and there.
Many users have then re-powered the router without describing it, bompa, not the same envoriment, but working enviroment. Why? could be cache handling, could be the resetted ARP timer from the router…Many things but we don’t know all these things for so different routers.

Issues with web access is finally the handling in the network and wifi hardware, no question.
To prevent to let things sleep you must know that the d1 mini handles things a bit different than the mcu. Starting with compiling this and e.g. the bootloader. E.g. when you use arduino ide and then have two different mcu’s -> here d1 mini and node mcu. It is different, it is NOT the same.

One test you can do with the d1 mini is, write a network script which calls the wled device every 30 seconds (no slepp will ever happen). Not to show the web ui, only the typical console use: like get http://wled-ip/ with a timer routine that calls every 30 seconds the same. I don’t have one by the hand.

@hmjgriffon
it is not the ARP settings in your router. It is the way how routers handle the ARP. Ideal ARP systems have no issues.

One example from my side only to show it.

• my 3 routers for wled and Tasmota are the Linksys WRT3200AC. In anotger setup i used a two year old cisco router system.
  • in all devcies and routers the same ssid and password, generic i have two sets for each system, yes because tasmota devices.
  • the whole network for WLED and Tasmota is on a complete different subnet as the rest of my home automation (plc’s)

I had never wifi issues with…

• Node-MCU v2 so far i know but could be a 3 one too.
  • Wemos D1 Lite 1.0.0, Mini v3.1.0, Pro in v1.0.0 and v2.0.0
  • iTead - sonoff basic, sc, sv, mini, s20, s26
  • my own made human sesnor array with wifi
  • next week one esp32 will enter my house, only ONE haha, about something johnny5canuck told and showed me in a PM.

Seen that i have to test the esp32, argh, all other things are running. So why my network is ok and not in your case.
I wish i could make a field test with many users nearby with here hardware in my test network setup to see if they running then very well. i did not heeard anything from users which used Cisco network hardware.

Also chiming in, I haven’t noticed an issue like this either. I have several modules running for hours without issue on either 0.9.1 or 0.10.0. I use a full Mikrotik systems with CAPSman.

I don’t see how the D1 Mini would behave differently then a NodeMCU except maybe for compiler settings?

If there is something we can test, let me know. :slight_smile:

I believe he found the problem to be multiple units with the same static IPs. :slight_smile:

@tonyno
:smiley: i hope that is true but i can’t understand that? How the world is this possible?

If you set the same static IP on two devices, it will essentially confuse the entire network. Each outgoing ARP request is answered by both devices and it is arbitrary which one “wins”.

1 Like