WLED controller board for outside applications with external antenna

Just published new v0.8 of the board.

2 Likes

Hi @srg74,
I really likle your controller and did just order the PCBs…
(right now you get 10 pcs for the price of 5 :smile:).

However: I do have some problems with the BOM:
it seems to be the one for version 0.7 - the PCB is v 0.8 ?

What about U1 and Q1 ?
And which relay did you use ?

Thx for the “missing parts” :smiley:

@Def3nder
I’m sorry I forgot to update my BOM. Please visit git and download new BOM. New PCB is v0.8 with relay. Older v0.7 have no relay.
Fill free to ask any question.

Thx, @srg74 ! exactly the parts I though (and that I ordered already) :smile:

Thanks for this, but I have a couple of questions.

First off I’m kind of a noob at this, but how to I upload the “wled06_usermod.ino” with your edits to the ESP Chip, or do I have to compile it somehow?

Second, how would I load this ESP chip with the firmware? I see the serial pinout, and I’ve done tasmota on the sonoff’s in the past, and typically you have to ground GPIO 0 during boot, in order to update the firmware, and I see two buttons on this, but also an IO0. Would I just put a Jumper on IO0 pins during boot, or is there an easier way, or Instructions somewhere on how to upload Firmware to this?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your interest on my project!
About usermod file - if you like to compile yourself bin file then you have to copy wled06_usermod.ino to main project folder and replace existing empty one. Or you have an option to download already compiled file from my repository https://github.com/srg74/Controller-for-WLED-firmware
I have updated file with recent version with OLED and temperature sensor.
https://github.com/srg74/Controller-for-WLED-firmware/tree/master/resources/FIRMWARE
Also to upload binary to ESP-07S you can use USB to serial converter and just short header with GPIO0 during boot. Then you can use header connector for default button. If any question let me know.
Also you can open issue in my repository so other can see it.
Best regards.

Hello again. Do you have the model number of the Tactile Switch you used? I couldnt locate it in the BOM, or in the GitHub.

Hi! You can use exactly or similar to this one https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-alcoswitch-switches/1825910-6/450-1650-ND/1632536

Thanks for the reply. Also out of curiosity, what power button is supposed to go to the right of that Marked PWR with the circle.

Power button is connected to GPIO0 - IO0 marked on board. This board designed around WLED project and if you need any answers about pinout you always can find them in project Wiki. Plus you have one additional pin for UserMod GPIO14 - - IO14 marked on board

1 Like

@srg74
I like your board how it’s made. I work different in a more industrial way about my a bit more then 40 years of work experience, but in any case a very good setup… Hold on the good work srg74.

@mike2nl Thank you very much for good words. I’m trying to be more professional way cause I like when everything is organized and reliable. So did you put everything together? If so can you share some pictures?

1 Like

@srg74
good words belong there where they are needed and you have done a very nice work which remembers me at my own things.

I work a lot with Lego housings for the Wemos/Lolin hardware and also for the PLC world. I worked around 40 years for the Industrial Automation, AeroSpace and Satelites. I use the harwdare from www.br-automation.com, the X20 system. B&R works together with ABB now for 2 years and the market is booming. Togehter they clear the market for 80%.

So my PLC Lego housings for switches, buttons, led’s and sensors are very easy. Same for the wemos/lolin part. Next or better the current project is the PIR, LDR and DS temp sensor with a relais to switch on the lights under the kitchen boards. That part will be Lego too and also a switch which can be used for manual light on/off. Possible this time i will make some fotos. I have some from the PLC world and will upload them somewhere so you can have a look. When it’s done i will send you a link for that.

Thank you. It will be very interesting!
And link you posted it’s just very far from what is going on with projects on this discourse :slight_smile: I also very long time in electrical/electronics industry but not that high as you. So yours words is cost a lot to me. Thanks.

1 Like

Are there any instructions on how to flash the firmware.bin to the ESP-07S. I tried flashing it through the normal sense through an FTDI adapter, leaving the 3.3v unplugged as some sites have sugusted with the -07S series. When i did plug the 3.3v my FTDI got really hot, so unplugged that.

so i have hooked up the
TX to RX
RX to TX
GND to GND on the Serial port
and plugged the board in to a 12v adapter. Ground out IO0 with a jumper while powering on, and then remove the jumper after the board is powered on. My PC detected the FTDI on COM3, but when using ESP Home Flasher all i get is the error:

Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____
Unexpected error: ESP Chip Auto-Detection failed: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out 
waiting for packet header

Is there any instructions on how to flash this with the FTDI adapter?

Here are some pics of my completed board.

1 Like

@OneAn9ryN00b
that looks very good and clear.

it would be cool to have a complete list of the electronic parts, name, type and value and where you got it. Then add this as PDF to the wiki for hardware.

@srg74
What do you think about a list?

@OneAn9ryN00b
use a CH340 usb/ttl adapter. At Tasmota we have very good feedback for this type:

That one has RTS and CTS too for other boards. Selectable 3.3V and 5V via jumper. I use that one now for one year and used it for many different chips. He has more current to power a board/mcu. Also the timing is
better and more stable.
So far my 2 cents…

I have this one:

I bought it a couple of years ago, and have flashed plenty of Sonoffs with Tasmota. But for some reason i cant flash this one. I can get it to register on COM3. But after that nothing.

Hi! There is no difference then any basic ESP8266 board to upload firmware. And yes you did everything correct. I have to take a closer look on that issue.