WLED ESP32-WROOM-32 won't connect to wifi

Hello,
I’m new to WLED and ESP32. I am trying to setup some WS2812 LED’s (1m length with 144 led’s). I purchased a couple of ESP32’s from AliExpress and flashed them with WLED. Unfortunately my soldering wasnt up to the job and the VIN and GND touch so they stopped working.

I have purchased a couple of ESP32’s and some decent connectors ( :slight_smile: ) and flashed it it with WLED. It connected to the internet and then immediately dropped out and i’ve not been able to connect since, even by connecting to the WLED AP.

I tried the second and that connected to my wifi, but as soon as i connect the LED’s the wifi drops.

The power source is through the USB C connector.

Am I doing something wrong, any advice is very much appreciated.

thanks

You can not power 144 LEDs from the Esp’s usb port. You need to connect them to external power.

https://kno.wled.ge/basics/getting-started/

Hi,
For some reason, the esp32 keeps dropping the wifi but I have set it up in my garage on a different access point and it is now working. I have the linksys velop mesh system and it seems to be causing issue, I will keep looking into that.
With regards to the 144 lights, they are working fine on USB power connection.

If I were you I would look into an external power supply. That usb port is not designed to pass that much current, unless you left the limiter on 850mA and in that case your lights can’t be very bright.

Yes I have limited the power and I will certainly look at external power but just wanted to get the project working first.

However I’m still having WiFi issues. So with nothing connected, just WLED installed, the WiFi is still dropping out shortly after. I have to power cycle to restore the WiFi but it doesn’t connect for long.

Are there different types of ESP32’s boards. It’s so frustrating :disappointed:

Try disabling wifi sleep in the wifi settings. You don’t have this board synced up with Home Assistant do you? Some have had issues with H.A.

Hi have disabled WiFi sleep. I have restarted my home router and I have moved the esp32 into the same room and it’s behaving itself. So my next step is to move the esp further away and see what happens.

Thanks for your advice so far

1 Like