Basic LED Setup Help

Hi All,

I seriously need some help i’m struggling and i somehow managed to fry a couple of strips. Here is my hardware:

I tried to wire the lights directly from the D1 mini, and through two different power sources which are listed above. In all cases i went form the 5v/Positive to the 5v on the LED, GND/Negative to the Ground on the LED ,and GPIO 2 (D4) to the data on the LED. In all three cases the LEDs didn’t even register that WLED was attached and either shined super bright white, or only the first light turned green.

Any ideas?

Thanks Everyone.

If your power supplies are truly providing 5V and you only ever wired +5V on the PS to +5V on the strip and ground to ground, it’s highly unlikely you fried anything.

As a first step, power the Wemos via USB and connect via WiFi with no LEDs connected.
That will prove you have a properly programmed WLED module.

To simplify, it might be worth cutting a few LEDs off the end of a strip and wire them directly to the Wemos, and again power it off a USB connection. That should be good enough for 5 LEDs and let you prove that the MCU will work to control the LEDs.

After that you can try to power the MCU from the separate PS, still trying to drive the 5 LEDs.
If that works you can try adding more LEDs.

Good advice. Let me give that a shot. Thanks!