ESP-01S never connects to wifi

I tried to make it run for days now but no matter what, it never connects to my wifi and I found no way how to check logs or somehow find what’s the issue for WLED.

1. I flashed WLED_0.13.3_ESP01.bin many times both with web and esptool-v3.3.2, always erasing the flash before
  2. I created exactly same network with some ancient no-name AP and it connects well
  3. My AP is years old Vodafone-branded cable modem/AP/router box made by Compal
  4. There are no special characters, channels or features (I know of) enabled on the Compal
  5. While my DHCP server knows the mac address and offers the IP address, I cannot ping or reach it via browser, there is simply no response from the device

Any ideas, how to debug that connection issue, please?

Not allowed to insert more than 1 media for whatever reason.
Security settings:

Frequency settings:

Trying via install wled web app:

Inserting settings through 4.3.2.1:

Did you get this figured out? If not, some ideas I had are…

1. Are the 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSIDs the same? You might want to change one so they are different.
  2. If they are, does your router have something called “band steering”? You would want to turn it off.

Some routers will try to move clients to the 5ghz band, even if the client doesnt support it. The ESP chips only support 2.4ghz. This means it will connect, get an ip address, then switch to 5ghz and become unreachable.

Hi, no, I didn’t figure it out yet, WLED is simply broken in my network. :-/
My SSIDs were not exactly same during the test. And no, I doubt the old cable modem supports band steering, and ESP-01 does not report 5GHz support, so a router which would want to move it to 5GHz even though it didn’t negotiate it would be pretty dumb. But I do have some older devices like Kindle or AV receiver connected to this 2.4GHz network without any issues. Only ESP-01/WLED struggles here. :frowning:

What’s your power connection to the ESP-01?
I’ve had trouble in the past where I could connect to the WLED-AP but when it tried to turn on a WiFi connection, the USB power would be insufficient. Had to go with a standalone 5V 3A connection.

Might be worth a try.

Well, it refuses to connect to one specific AP while it works with another one. I’m gonna try that nevertheless, thanks for the tip.