New controller SP511E

I updated the guide with the new 0.13.3 binary.

1 Like

Hi @srg74
Is it possible to check you repository for version of firmware?
It’s look like a SR build, but really it’s native WLED build without SR functionality.

The last SR build that worked for ESP8266 was 13.0 b4.

Yep, but in this folder we can find WLED_0.13.2_SR_sp511e.bin file.
As I understand SR releases was different from generic WLED releases.
Therefore I can suppose, that it’s not a WLED release, and as you discussed before there is some beta releases was marked by @srg74 and uploaded to GH.
I think it’s some mistake with this file.

I can’t test it but someone used that bin

Just double checked, you version has the same menu as native WLED:

While SR version menu is:

So, due to end of development for ESP8266 SR version - is it possible to provide it’s sources for manual compilation?
I think many more SP511e owners can use it for latest versions of WLED.

You can download repository from GitHub - atuline/WLED at ESP8266 and compile yourself.

It is not as easy as that. There were a ton of changes in the baseline branch that need to be merged into and made to work with the sound reactive branch.

So, @Artacus am I right, that latest SR build for SP511E, that fully (with SR and IR) work is 0.13.0.b3?
And we can’t update this to latest builds because SR developers team now doesn’t update it’s code for ESP8266.
Ok, let’s speak for this release due to adopting it to our needs. For example working repository, provided by @srg74 in post 128 look like doesn’t updated for both SR and IR functions of SP511E - if I’m trying to compile it with disabled features like ALEXA, MQTT etc. and some enabled usermods IR doesn’t work after it. Look’s like you additional settings for SP511E env doesn’t included into this repository. Therefore updating guide should be updated for new users with SP511E, which want to use latest SR build.

Use the SR binary I provided in the guide. It is the last one that worked 0.13.0-b4

Hmmm, there is no SR13.0 b4 bin file for SP511E neither in you tutorial (or repository) nor in @srg74 repository. Only b3.
Also If anyone want to change some functions - there is no sources for b4 for new compilation.

Also, there is a problem with IR while compiling new firmware from Andrew’s sources.
Modified env doesn’t help.

Is there a reason the sound reactive version shows 5000 B LED memory whilst the non-sound reactive shows only 4000 B?

Noticed this trying to set up 300 LEDs on the non-sound reactive version in a setup which I don’t want the sound reactive effects to show up as they do at the top of the list.

I modified the base of 3d printed twisted base, if you`ld like to use the sp511e with it.

If you are using non-SR WLED on your SP511Es, you may want to try out 0.14.0-b1. Available at Serg’s repo.

This has 2D and many of the Sound Reactive effects. Unfortunately at this point the SR effects use simulated noise rather than the microphone. But I’m hoping that will come to ESP8266 land soon.

I was able to do OTA updates. But on one controller, I had to use the gzipped version.

Did you manually gzip a bin or did you download one?

I haven’t been able to OTA my SP511e’s since I moved up to 0.13.3 (I think???)

I compiled it from source and it automatically makes gzipped versions.

I didn’t have any on 13.3, since the ones that are sound reactive are stuck on 13.0-b4 and having different effect ids was a deal breaker.

Have to try a compile when I have a moment.

Come to think of it, I should be able to just gzip up a .bin - hmmmmm.

Nope, picked up the latest WLED_0.14.0-b1_SP511E_2m.bin from Serg and gzipped it.

Both the .gz and .bin files try and update, but give me a: 'Update failed! - Please check your file and retry!"

message (Boooo).

Not horrendous as I can always do a hard flash, just would be nice to get OTA back.
I find those SP511e’s are handy for Christmas props I have around especially as they handle up to 24V very nicely.