Project Advice

Hi everyone, looks like a really cool bit of software you have here.
I’m putting together a project that uses 12 poles 1 metre apart. Each pole has 70 LEDs and a UART controlled Voice playback module (DY-SVR19R).
I’ve got a bunch of ESP32 modules from a old project so I was wondering if I could attach a ESP32 to each of those poles and control them all from something like a Raspberry Pi via the json API and presets?
I can see from other usermods that getting the ESP32s to send a UART command should be possible. The 12 metres will be outdoors and unobstructed so a router should have clear view.

I guess the real question is should I do it over just connecting all the poles to a Pico and Multiplexer and just using something like FastLED. Would there be a lot of latency and other issues? I guess I’m just trying to save time on the wiring and coding.

What do you want these poles to do?

You’re going to have to power them anyway(?) so you’ll need that minimum wiring.
It may be worthwhile to link their data lines as well.

All depends on your ultimate goals.

So the idea would be that the raspberry pi sends a Json to a ESP32 to play a certain preset.
The preset would be just an LED animation and to send a UART command to the voice playback module to play a certain track.

It would still need the power wiring but it’d cut down the use of the multiplier or relay to control so many UART connections. It’d also mean I wouldn’t have to worry about trying to send a command 12 metres from the pi to the to the voice playback module.

I assume the LED animations between the poles would be the hard thing to sync correctly

Sorry just to clarify, the audio wouldn’t play all at once. Just at each pole in turn to create a sort of echo effect