V2.1 of Universal Wemos shield is published

To all folks who like to solder their own projects! v2.1 of shield is published! More flexibility is added. GitHub - srg74/WLED-wemos-shield: Wemos D1 Mini (ESP8266) or Wemos ESP32 D1 Mini (ESP32) based shield for WLED firmware
Updated Wiki for new shields
PCB can be ordered here Universal WLED wemos shield - Share Project - PCBWay

3 Likes

Starred the project. Will look at this in detail when I come back from holidays. I really like this and have been looking at designing my own, but you may save me all the work.

I hope you will love it :slight_smile:

Ballpark, if you were going to build 5 or 10 boards, how much would it cost for the components?

All depend on components sourcing. Average $5-7

Hi,

I am building my first board, have all the components but stuck at step 1. I do not know what jumpers to solder. I’m using an ESP8266 and not sure what to solder on “IO1-IO3 - Let you choose D2 output” My understanding my ESP8266 is the Lolin D1 Mini uses “GPIO2 - D4 - Default LED out” so I don’t think I need to solder anything correct?

Also J-R2 seems not to be soldered as the R2 is required

I also bought SW1 and unsure if J-R1 is required as I’m not even sure if I need R1 at all. Can you confirm?

Hi! If you using only one output you don’t need to solder jumper for io1-io3. Default output is GPIO2 marred as DI. Regarding J-R2. This resistor mostly for old LEDs strips. If you a modern one just solder jumper J-R2. Pull-up resistor on switch only needed in case your switch is not stable. Some clone boards require this resistor, in this case you solder resistor and jumper. Basically, this setup is for convenience.

1 Like

Since the 2N7000FS-ND is unavilable since Aug 22 at digiKey - ist it possible to use an other similar type ?

e.g. https://www.digikey.de/de/products/detail/stmicroelectronics/2N7000/654416
Part Number 497-3110-ND STMicroelectronics, N-Kanal 60 V 350mA (Tc) 1W (Tc) ?

Thanks,
Tom

2N7000-D74ZFSCT-ND
2N7000-D26ZTR-ND
2N7000BU-ND
All in stock

DarthWeber

1d

Thanks a lot. Today digikey informed me, that the relay is also not available anymore. Would be great if you could post some replacements that fits the PCB.

And some questions regarding the jumpers:

• if i use the sound addon board - do i need to set the jumpers to shifted or not shifted ?

On the terminal there are 2 data pins, both of them are level shifted, which is great. One with 68 Ohm resistor, the other direct, maybe because it is also used as a clock signal.

But I am unsure about jumper IO1-3 which leads to RX or TX on the ESP32, but what is the diffence ? What should i use for digital stripes without clock signal ?

Many thanks,
Tom

For a relay alternative look at BOM file.
Soldering jumpers is set not shifted if logic on add-on board connected to header is 3.3V. Microphones all 3.3V. If you want to use pins on header as LED outs you need shift them and logic level will be 5V.
For ESP32 it’s really not matter IO1 or IO3 while using with regular LED strips.

Is there a build video for this?

Have just found the excellent guide.

It is an easy build.
Start with R and D. Then ceramic C, add fuse holder and pin headers.
Finish with relay and electrolytic C.

I prefer no to solder IC directly to PCB but instead use DIP14 socket.

First controller running with temp and 2 segments. Awesome. The only thing which confuses me is the line in on A0:

• it is working with the line-out of my sonos as well as with a analog microphone
  • but it doesn’t work with the PRE-OUT of my amplifier (denon). Those pre-out is for use with an external amplifier so i expected them to work with the line-in board.

Any suggestions ? Where do you guys are connecting the line-in at the amplifier ? I would prefer a line solution instead of a microphone, i do not want to visualize my speaking and coughing :grimacing:

Thanks,
Tom

Pre-out is usually 0-0.7V

OK, and line-in requires more? Can I somehow connect the pre-out with the wled shield? Or can I connect the line-in shield direct to the speakers?

A0 has a voltage range of 0-3.3V

Yes, but how can i connect the Line plug-in Board? Can i connect it direct to the speakers? I have no line-out at my amplifier. :confused:

Maybe somebofy can help me to flash the esp32 with the binary “SR_shield_esp32_display_dallas.bin” please ? I tried the following methods:

• directly with ESPHome. Works, but the filesystem is less than 61kB in size, not enough to store my presets.
  • I can flash the Sound reactive 13b4 from https://install.wled.me/ which yields to 1,5MB filesystem but of course no dallas and no display. For some reason it is not possible to do an OTA to the binary above
  • I failed with “esptool.exe --port YOUR_SERIAL_PORT -b 460800 --before default_reset --after hard_reset --chip esp32 write_flash --flash_mode dio --flash_size detect 0x00001000 bootloader_dio_40m.bin 0x00008000 partition_4mb.bin 0x00010000 esp32_no_mods.bin” as described in the github. The arguments seems to be invalid for the windows version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

use esptool like so:
esptool --baud 115200 --port COMx write_flash -fm dio 0x10000 firmware.bin

1 Like