WLED and Aliexpress Ambient car lighting strips

Hey guys, This is really just a PSA and my findings regarding the “Symphony” lighting strips for automotive ambient lighting which you can get from AliExpress. They’re basically a bunch of tiny WS2812 (or compatible) LEDs (like 2-3mm square) which fire into a light diffuser which is then inserted between dashboard panels to give a continuous band of light. They’re intended to be used with one of the manufacturers own controllers, but I found those to be overpriced given their capabilities and would prefer the flexibility of WLED, so I ordered a few to see whether they’d work and it turns out they do, with one caveat; the manufacturer chose (either maliciously or unintentionally) to swap the colors one would assume to be for +5V and GND, so if you wire them up to a 5v supply with that assumption you’ll let out the magic smoke (like I did!). So the actual wiring is: Black=+5V, Red=GND, Green=Din.

Here it is in all its glory! (Apologies for the potatovision™, I don’t have the best camera on my phone)