WLED console not saved when going to config

I and a friend are running V0.13.0-b3. Mine is on a NodeMCU 8266 and his is on an ESP32 on a DigUNO board. My system performs as expected but on his system, the current status on the console page (presets, segments, playlists) reset to original (so no presets, playlists,segments) after going to any other tab in Config (for instance Time & Macros) and back… or when restarting wled… or when closing and reopening WLED in a browser. However other tabs like LED info or WIFI setup idata IS saved.
I reloaded s/w thinking it had become corrupt but got the same behavior. So a couple of questions:

1. Where is current list of segments, presets, and playlists saved.
  2. Could this be caused by the difference in chips (like memory?)
  3. Is there some setting to always start with a fresh console (and where is that setting)?

Im baffled. I have had no issues setting up for Halloween at my house but when he called for assistance, I tried to show him how to do presets and playlists… but could not save his work. As long as the browser is not closed, wled works… but goes back to a “new” console if you leave.

Seen this before?
thx

1. Settings need to be saved into a preset.
  2. You can set that to load on boot if you want it to always come up that way.
  3. There is a also a usermod to save the last state and restore it.

Tonyno,

1. I wasn’t clear. On the problem system presets and playlists can be saved and executed but after leaving and returning to the console, they have vanished. no saved presets
  2. Its not a matter of what to play on bootup.
  3. Sorry, I don’t know anything about usermods. I don’t have any usermods on my system and my presets/playlists are saved from session to session. But not on my friend’s system. Same sw.

That sounds like a bad flash then.

Same ESP and everything?

Not the same. Mine (which works) is ESP8266_2_7_4_7.
His (doesn’t work) is esp32 v3.2.3-14-gd3e562907 (0)
Both are running WLED “Toki”

OOPS just noticed I am running 0.13.0-b3 build 2109220
and he is running 0.13.0-b2 build 2107100

Although I doubt that would result in this flaw The disparity in build is probably due to chip rather than sw.

I have always assumed (and correct me if I’m wrong) that when you save a segment (with a preset) or just a preset and click ‘save preset’ that is all it takes to save to memory. There is no ‘SAVE’ button for the console page.

Correct. If it’s in a saved preset, it should persist.

I still suspect a bad flash. Have them check the Info page for filesystem info. A standard ESP32 should have 1507kB.

Any chance your friend has been upgrading from older versions (especially multiple times)?

There was a “window of opportunity” some revisions back where it’s possible the file system wasn’t upgraded properly depending on what version you came from.

It might be worth a USB install from install.wled.me and make sure you erase the chip.
You may have to try and save your config info (if possible) or you’ll have to rebuild from scratch.

It’s been a while since I’ve personally seen any of those oddities, but I do recall having to do a wipe and fresh install to clear out old cruft.

Interesting… the screenshot he sent me shows a free heap of 157k. Now I look that seems a little low. Thanks for the tip.

I did an OTA reflash and the Free heap on the new image is only 167k. Perhaps I will try a usb flash. Almost all my experience is with 8266 NodeMCU… work great. But the first few times I tried a usb flash of ESP32 it failed several times to ack the flasher and start the download. worked ok the last time and that was with a web flash I believe. I thought it erases the chip before flashing automagically. Should I make that a separate step?

As I mentioned above, I’ve had good luck with the web page install.wled.me.
It has a checkbox to do a “Clean Install” before flashing.
The only issue I’ve run into is some ESP32 boards require you to hold down the Boot button in order to be properly recognized at the beginning of the process.
I’d start at the stable 0.12.0 and then work up from there as necessary.

I’d say the boot loader is in the wrong place.

That’s a little messier if true.
You’re likely to need some more advanced tools, checkout the docs → Installing WLED
You’ll need either “esptool” or “ESP Home Flasher Tool” to reload the boot loader properly.

install.wled.me does that correctly.

Good news, a usb reflash solved the problem.

1. running Brave browser and install.wled.me is not supported
  2. I did use esptool.py with the --eraseall because someone suggested erasing the entire ESP32… would not boot… finally figured out that command erases the bootloader also.
  3. Flashed the bootloader.
  4. Flashed 0.13.0-b3 and it works great and loads the presets when going back to the console. Was also able to saave config *backup" and save Presets.
  5. Word to the wise… you cannot load a preset file saved in one system and load it into a different one. If the LED strings are of different length it does not self adapt.
  6. Thanks for all your assistance.
    jj