WLED Lamp

After long wait times for the frosted Acryl glasses we finally finshed our WLED Lamp

The final version (with cycled effects for show)

A german How-To

Let me know what you think.

12 Likes

Hi, It would be nice to share details on your build.

Sorry my bad! Just a quick rundown of the specs

• 272 Leds WS2812b 60 Leds/m - separated to 8 strips a 34 Leds

Lamp consists of

• base which includes all the electronics - ESP32 / Power
  • All 4 sides of the dome are frosted acrylic glass - Top also
  • in the middle of the lamp A octacon shaped cylinder resided with the mentioned 8 LED strips

Wood parts painted in Hammerrite Black

Running WLED 12.0

Let me know if you need more info

2 Likes

That looks great. Did you run them in series or parallel? (If parallel, did you do it per side so each side displays the same pattern accordingly?)

I thought About an idea similar but using round tube.

Care to share details on whereabouts of frosted glass?

The 8 strips are run in series

on the top of the cylinder I only connect the data

grafik

At the base I connect Data / V5 & GND

grafik

In WLED I have three (base presets)

1. One 272 Strip - No segments configured
  2. 8 Segments eack 34 LEDs - every second in reverse order
  3. 8 Segments eack 34 LEDs - every second in reverse order - every one mirrored

I got the frosted Glass from Kunststoffplattenonline.de

EDIT:

I’ve uploaded a quick Video which shows the different Segment configurations

5 Likes

That looks absolutely fantastic. If anyone else wants to try and doesn’t want to wait for the frosted acrylic, you can get pretty good results with a random orbital sander and fine sandpaper. And I bet putting a diffraction grating on the inside and sanding the outside would look amazing. I may have to do some experimenting. https://www.amazon.com/Diffraction-Grating-sheet-lines-inch/dp/B007FZXNL6/ref=mp_s_a_1_5

1 Like

I just saw someone say that white, shelf-liner (vinyl) works well as well as “stencil paper”.

Have you considered standard white glue spread along the inside of the acrylic? If brushed on and allowed to smooth out, it should do nicely. It’s very inexpensive and washes up with water. If it is applied with a popsicle stick, patterns can easily be crafted to provide unique and artistic looking patterns.

1 Like

That sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

Hmm, I suppose if it was applied with a generous amount of glue, it could run off onto the table or box holding it up while drying.
I was really thinking of a very light brushing, just enough that it would smooth out, but not enough that it would run off.
It would be cheap and easy, plus, it’s easily reversible with warm water - unlike sanded acrylic.
It’s just a suggestion for another visual effect using things already found in most homes.

Well, I was slathering in my mind :slight_smile:
I guess because I thought the standard Elmer’s type glue dries pretty clear. Have you tried it on anything? I’m curious what it would look like.

I just found this HowTo YouTube Video

At 5:14 he sandpapers the Acrylic Glass … seems to work just fine …

Still a work in progress, but thorn inspired me to throw together a lamp today. Plexiglass frosted by sanding. There is also an inner diffuser of 1/8" foam (packing material rolled in a 2 ply 4" cylinder.

3 Likes

@Artacus This looks amazing!

Could you quickly explain the idea of multiple base presets to a noob please? I get presets but can you have multiple configurations of the same strip in different presets?
Thanks.

Yes. Presets can have all different settings.

The base presets are just in there so I can quickly some effects with different setups of the segments …

What does the json config for the segments look like in the preset?

presets.json.txt (21.5 KB)

cfg.json.txt (1.7 KB)

I’ve uploaded the complete presets.json & cfg.json files as txt

1 Like

this looks amazing, at first I thought you made a digital lava lamp, but then watched more and that is so cool. I hope my son and I can figure this stuff out. Thank you for posting, both for inspiration and how you did it.