WLED Lamp

Thank you !

Send me a PN if you have any questions - or just ask in the forum.

Good luck with your project.

VID-20210812-WA0001.zip (3.8 MB)
VID-20210812-WA0000.zip (3.8 MB)
Thank you @thorn for this inspiration and the help with this project. I have build your idea in my living room standing lamp. As i have no you tube account i have uploaded the video in the two zip files attached.
These are 4 stripes with 40 leds each stripe.
Thanks!

1 Like

Wow! This looks fantastic!

:slight_smile: Thanks

I have an update for the Lamp

I recently found Black&White Plexiglas Material - the result is stunning … great diffusion and almost 100% black when off …

7 Likes

Thank you Thorn for sharing your Lamp build and schematics!

It was a great inspiration while figuring out an LED build. Here’s a snippet of my build, i hope to have a breakdown with pics soon.

I didn’t have a router so had to improvise with hot glue, sqaure dowels and L moulding. For my next build, I will definitely try and find a router, my method was time consuming! Cheers!

1 Like

Hello Guys ,

Does anybody know where we can buy a ready made Acrylic fixture like the one used in those projects ? I dont have a 3d printer and I am not good with a saw .

The one I found is small and made for a matrix .
Lampshade

I also thought to use a regular lamp shade like 2nd picture but it has a paper cover and I am not sure about the result . Did anybody try something like this

Lampshade02

Thx ,

I have exactly such a lamp.
The paper of the lamp is very thin, you can see the mutual LEDs too well.

I wrapped the LED strip around the iron tube (in the middle of the lamp).
And around the spiral of ledstrip, I made a tube of ordinary A3 size paper.
It went reasonably well.

But you should know that you still have to tinker with these lamps.
From the other side; they are very cheap lamps and the end result is very nice.

20220102_010631

Thank you for the info, What you did is exactly what I needed . It is very important for me have a good diffused fixtures for the final projects because it is what I can show to my family and friends and we can actually use in the house

I tried after seeing what you did with an existing lampshade and 1 m ws2812b and I got mixed result :

At the top of lampshade (distance between Leds and edge is around 7cm ) resulted in too much blur

At the bottom of lampshade (distance between Leds and edge is around 2cm ) resulted in each pixel being kinda visible ( I am okay with this )

I will try to keep the leds near the edge , I not sure how since but as you mentioned I have to tinker with the lampshade ( It is not that easy because there are a lot of things inside this one ) .

LED_LS_15cm

You also mentioned cheap ones which I want as the one I showed is has 2 bulbs and 2 dimmers and the paper is not actually white like the regular ones and I prefer to keep it . Could you please link to any reasonably priced one you came across online or used ?

Except the lampshades, I have everything I need to make 3 lamps like this with at least 2 meter leds in each . Sorry for the long post and appreciate the help

Wow - your base is much cooler than mine! It looks really cool!

1 Like

Hi ALDIY,

First of all, I would like to wish you a good and healthy 2022.

you have a nice video.
You write that every pixel is slightly visible at the bottom of the lampshade and that you are okay with that.
I personally like more diffuse (blur).
That’s why I didn’t put the A3 paper flat against the inside of the rice paper, but made a narrower tube.

The photo is of how I once tried it.

I ordered the lamp from IKEA some time ago, but see that they no longer sell it.

I do see other versions such as:

Ikea VICKLEBY (13 Euro)

Ikea SOLLEFTEÅ (25 Euro)

I don’t know what country you live in, so I don’t think a link to the Dutch IKEA website will help you much.

However, if you search for the description I have written below the photos, you can probably also find them in your own country.

Good luck, and I hope your family and friends are impressed with the result.

Hi and thanks for the pictures , I like the paper trick you did inside the lamp and I will do the same as having the pixels visible is the request of higher authorities

Strange thing I did go to IKEA today for unrelated thing and i checked VICKLEBY ! I was told it just arrived and I thought its a bit tall and the top of the lampshade is much narrower then our lamps but now since you mentioned it , I think I will get it . I’ll send you the result .

I wish you all the best

I tested several different materials as an inner diffuser. The best I found for diffusion w/ minimal dimming was thin white packing foam and freezer paper worked well too.

You are a genius,I used the packing foam that came with a matrix before and it was really good . I never though to look for a full roll until you mentioned it , it is low cost and really easy to work with . I appreciate the tip .I have been trying to recycle existing material but now I will just get it

Can you show a picture of what you did ?Did you create some kind of a frame first ?

Thank you ,

I cut 2x 1/4" sections of 3" PVC and glued the foam to it to keep it round. With a piece of clear packing tape down the seam on the inside. Cut the foam just a tad taller so it holds itself in place with the lid on.

I found Thorns lamp video on YT yesterday and the fire effect blowed me away. Will definitely build my own version. Thanks for sharing and point me to this discourse group Thorn!

Thought it’s worth sharing my own cheapo Wled lamp, I built years ago.
80mm acrylic tube (600mm long), taped an APA102 stripe on the back and filled the tube with glas crushed decoration ice cubes.

Hey! Nice to see you here too :smiley:
I really like your Lamp - the idea with the decoration ice cubes is really cool … maybe I’ll try this one next.

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing all the build detail too.

1 Like

Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions.

I love that look! Acrylic tubes are so expensive though. I’ve toyed with making my own tubes. Not nearly as tall (it had to fit in my wife’s oven and without her noticing). But it didn’t turn out as nice as I’d like.