xLights-WLED universe configuration issue for E1.31

Hi. Posting here at the suggestion of @tonyno

I’m having some configuration issues (I think) with WLED and xLights. I’m not sure if it’s an xLights issue, or WLED issue, although I was able to fix it by tweaking values in Falcon Player.
I have a 24 x 48 pixel Matrix that is partially populated (awaiting additional LEDs). I have the matrix split into two equal (once I add the rest of the pixels) sections with each section being controlled by an ESP32 running WLED. Given that the Matrix has a total on 1,152 pixels, each half section will have 576 pixels (1,728 channels). When specifying the controller I have three universes with a 510 size and one with 198 ((3x510) + 198 = 1,728). When I run a sequence from xLights from my PC, the last pixel on each universe is unlit. I imported the same sequence into FPP and was experiencing the same unlit end of universe pixels until I essentially adjusted the channel count up by one (e.g., 510 to 511). When I upped the channel count and overlapped the end/start channels, it corrected the unlit pixels. When I tried updating the same in xLights, it didn’t work (mixed colors). I was thinking it may be somehow a starting at 0 vs. 1 thing; not sure.

Sorry… I just joined the Discourse and can’t post images yet. They are shown in the WLED Discord in the “issues” channel on Nov 21, 2020 at 3:36 pm (EST).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Jim

This has been mentioned before, by myself included. The issue is fixed in the “master” code, but not yet in the release of WLED. We’ll just have to wait as I haven’t had time myself to figure out if I can DL and compile from the “master” .

Keith,
Thanks for your reply. I had searched on the WLED Discord, Falcon Christmas forums, and a general Internet search, and couldn’t find anything. I guess my search terms didn’t trigger a result. Perhaps this will be updated in the next official WLED release.

Thanks again for your reply.

Jim

1 Like

You’re welcome, and it DEFINITELY will, according to @Aircoookie

1 Like

I run a 600 led panel with wled and xLights and haven’t seen the same issue. The only difference I can see from your set up is that I specified 4 uniform E131 universes at 510. (Rather than 3+1 smaller one)

I don’t know enough about the protocols used but maybe a byte is used for universe size and so you are losing one.
Also I think DPP(?) support is in next release which is more lightweight. I think it avoids archaic universe sizes too?

Here’s my panel: https://imgur.com/a/k9V1XLI make sure you do a better job of filming it than I did :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I found out that this is a known bug and has been corrected in the Master code and will be incorporated into the next official binary release. I’m also looking forward to DPP support and hoping that that will help reduce some of my stuttering/“laginess”.

Hello,
Very happy to have discovered your message and its responses because I have been looking for a solution to the same problem for several weeks. My English is almost zero, concerning the Master, should we understand that we can already load it if we compile ourselves with Arduino or do we have to wait for the next revision.
translation with google because I only speak French, my apologies so unclear.

Funny. Had the exact same problem and was trying to debug my failure in the set up. Did not think at WLED at all :grinning:

I do have a small megatree with 600 leds (universe 50-53) plus a star with 50 (universe 55). Same problem with last pixel. In addition (but I am not sure if this is related to WLED) the star won’t light up with falcon player only with xlights

Here are some pictures fore the community

1 Like

Hi. That is my understanding too. If you compile the master it has the “fix” in the code.

FYI. I eliminated my stuttering/lagginess of xLight effects (via E1.31) by disabling WiFi sleep in the WIFI settings of WLED. I was getting ping times on the order of 250 ms on my ESP32’s. After disabling WiFi sleep, ping times were under 10 ms and xLight effects were now buttery smooth.
I updated to WLED 0.11 and my end of universe unlit pixel issues was resolved. Thanks @Aircoookie! :smiley:

2 Likes