SmartThings

Hey all!

I created a very basic device handler for SmartThings, available here
Are currently supported on/off, color and brightness.

Any contributors welcome for more features!

Damien

Edit: In the ST app, enter the port even though already displayed! As reported by users, it is more of a suggestion than a default value. So enter “80” prior to saving.

3 Likes

Hi @damien, interesting - how do you setup this ?
I’ve looked at the ST IDE and copied the code there.
What do I need on the hardware side ?

Is my Samsung Smart TV enough ? Or do I need any other hardware ?

All you need is a ESP with WLED flashed! Really nothing else…
Not sure about the Samsung TV, but as I understand it new ones have a ST hub built in. I personally have a v2 ST hub.

Here is the procedure:

• In the SmarThings IDE, go to “My device handlers”
  • Create new device handler
  • From Code
  • Paste the code
  • Click Create, then save and Publish for me

Then, click on “My devices”, and

• +New device
  • Give it a name (Desk lamp or whatever)
  • Copy name to Device Network ID
  • Type: go all the way to the bottom to find WLED
  • Version: Published
  • Select your location
  • Select your hub
  • Click “Create”

Now open the ST app. That device should now be available, open it. Go to the setting gear, enter the IP address of the ESP, port (80 by default), save.

Should be it!

Since I have my WLED devices integrated with ST, Google Home connected to ST, ST integrated with Home Assistant, and Home Assistant running the Homekit component, I can turn on/off-change color and brightness of WLED devices from either Google Assistant, Siri, ST and HA.

Let me know if it works!

2 Likes

worked for me, your awesome, thanks!

Hi @damien,
unfortunately the Samsung TV do not have a SmartThings hub - they can only connect to one :cry:

…and 200 EUR for a hub I don’t want to invest - but thx for the idea !

ST hub v3 is ~65 EUR on Amazon. However, that may not be what you were talking about for the 200 EUR hub option??

Hi @huggy-d1, hmmm - I did not see a hub for around 65 Euro - but anyway: I have Home Assistant running with Zigbee support and a dedicated hue bridge - most of the “sensors and actors” are WiFi driven.

I think that should be enough “infrastructure” - but good to know that SmartThings would be another “universe” that would do the job :smile:

There is a direct integration built in HA for WLED:

Available through HA’s GUI.

Yes, I use this already :smile:

Hi All,

I’ve been using a handful of the HTTP API commands, similar to how the device handler was made (thanks Damien). Is it worth pursuing a way to take advantage of the JSON API over the HTTP API? Sometimes I notice that commands are slow, I don’t know if that would be the case with JSON and HTTP but thought I’d ask if this is something others have also contemplated or have an opinion on? Aircookies documentation recommends JSON for “seg” level commands.

Hi @damien thank you for creating this device handler. I’ve got it setup but doesn’t seem to be working for me. My ESP Dig Uno’s IP is static at 192.168.1.64 and I pointed the device to that IP. When I press on/off inside of Smartthings nothing happens to WLED/my lights. I haven’t changed the port (from 80).

Anyone know how I might be able to get this to work (I’m using Smartthings hub v2).

Thank You!

OMG I just figured it out… All I had to do was actually type 80 in the internal port. It doesn’t just default to 80, more like suggests 80. So here is what you should see vs. what I was seeing yesterday. Hope this helps others! This is so great to have control via Smartthings, now I can turn on at sunset and off at midnight or whatever I want! Thanks @damien

1 Like

Yeah, that had be scratching my head for a bit too!
Once up and running, it works great.

1 Like

@jsank11 @m-s-e

Thanks for the feedback. I updated my original post and the GitHub page to instruct typing the port in even though displayed.

1 Like

@damien No problem. I really love that you were able to write the Smartthings device handler. One day I hope to be able to write my own but I’m not there yet. Thanks for sharing it!

Hello
First I would like to thank you for the instruction’s on how to do this.
I did it the way you said with smartthings. But when I turn on wled that I created in smartthings my leds turn on different color than what i had it set to. If I go back to the wled app and turn on the lights I have to select a preset then if I turn off an on with the app it works fine. it keeps the color scheme But not in the smartthings app???
Can you help me out with this
Thanks so much jeff

If you select RED in WLED, does the strip produce RED?
When you tell smartthings to select RED, what does the strip produce?
If smartthings is asking WLED for RED and the strip is a different color, you can change WLED configuration to match Smartthings requests.

Hello and thanks for the reply
I think I may have misspoke the problem. When I select a preset for a christmas pattern with the wled app it works great. but if I turn it off and back on with smartthings (new app) it will light up just a single color

Perhaps the smarthings app is not coded for 0.11.x? Or maybe it is resetting the pattern palette.

Same problem. Have you found a solution?